BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Wednesday, 17 May, 2000, 07:06 GMT 08:06 UK
Kidnappers demand $2m ransom
Renate Wallert on stretcher
Mrs Wallert has hypertension and can hardly walk
Muslim rebels holding 21 hostages in the Philippines are said to have demanded a ransom of $2m to free one of them - a German woman who is unwell.

Philippines Foreign Secretary Domingo Siazon announced the details during a visit to Beijing.

"The initial price was $1m for the German woman and then it became $2m, but we have asked them for a package deal for all 21 hostages," Mr Siazon was quoted as saying by the French news agency AFP. .


Hostage at camp
The hostages' ordeal began on 23 April
The guerrillas had earlier agreed to make German tourist Renate Wallert's release the first topic of negotiations.

She is said to be suffering from hypertension. Reporters who reached the kidnappers' camp said she appeared to be barely able to walk.

"The German woman is very bad, very ill... She's been having nightmares," said journalist Florence Compain of the French newspaper Le Figaro.

"When she wakes up, she starts crying. They were all very depressed."

Abu Escobar, a spokesman for the Abu Sayyaf guerrillas, had earlier said Mrs Wallert's speedy release would depend on the government meeting certain conditions.


Military
The rebels have called for the military to withdraw from the area
Formal negotiations with the kidnappers were due to begin on Wednesday, when chief negotiator Robert Aventajado said he wanted a written list of demands, to end the confusion over exactly what the rebels wanted.

Mr Aventajado warned there could be months of tough bargaining ahead.

He is the third person to take the role of chief negotiator during the three-week crisis.

Demands

The initial demands made informally by rebels include a stop to all operations by the military in the provinces where hostages are being held.

The guerrillas have also asked to meet the armed forces chief of staff and the national police chief.


map
The government has agreed that troops should keep away from the area of the talks but ruled out some demands, such as the creation of an Islamic state and the establishment of Islamic law in the largely Muslim south.

The hostages were kidnapped on 23 April by Abu Sayyaf rebels from the Malaysian resort of Sipadan and brought to Jolo island in the Philippines by speedboat.

The hostages were able to phone home on Tuesday when journalists brought a satellite phone to the rebel camp.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

16 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Rebels to discuss sick hostage
15 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Filipino rebels' new demands
14 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Three journalists missing in Jolo
13 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Hostage release hopes dashed
12 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Church call for prayer crusade
02 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Swordsmen of God at war
09 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Eyewitness: Inside the Jolo hostage camp
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories