| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Tuesday, 16 May, 2000, 21:07 GMT 22:07 UK
Unionists reject reassurance move
![]() Unionist concerns may prevent return to Stormont
Ulster Unionists have rejected an attempt by Northern Ireland Secretary Peter Mandelson to reassure them on plans to restart Northern Ireland devolution.
A letter from Mr Mandelson to party leader David Trimble contains assurances that the decision changing the name of the Royal Ulster Constabulary when Northern Ireland's new police service is established will be left to the secretary of state. It also attempts to address Ulster Unionist concerns on paramilitary arms, flags and emblems, paramilitary punishment beatings and shootings and on early prison releases, in the hope that the party will agree to a return to devolution on 22 May.
"There are important issues which cannot be avoided or overlooked in terms of the name of the RUC and, in particular, the flying of the national flag in this part of the UK." 'Drip feed of concessions' Meanwhile Social Democratic and Labour Party deputy leader Seamus Mallon warned both the British and Irish governments to stop what he called the "daily drip feed of concessions" to unionists and republicans.
Earlier, Mr Mandelson's letter had already provoked an angry debate between Ulster Unionist and Sinn Fein representatives. UUP deputy leader John Taylor said it was "disappointing" as it contained no decisions on issues such as the RUC name, while Sinn Fein's Bairbre de Burn said it was a "dilution" of the proposed reforms of the force. Mr Mandelson's letter was a response to demands for concessions from Mr Trimble in advance of the crucial Ulster Unionist ruling council meeting on Saturday. In the letter, Mr Mandelson said the legislation to restore power-sharing to Northern Ireland would be drawn up after the UUP meeting on Saturday following a request from Mr Trimble. The Ulster Unionist leader has been seeking answers to questions about the IRA's offer to open its arms dumps to two international inspectors as part of a process of putting weapons beyond use. Mr Trimble has also been in discussions with the government in an attempt to overturn its decision to change the name of the Royal Ulster Constabulary. In the letter, Mr Mandelson said he believed "we can find ways of retaining an honourable and permanent place for the RUC name, consistent with implementing the reform proposals of the Patten report". He added: "We will do so in a manner which shows sensitivity to the views of the entire community and does not present any obstacle to the aim we all share - a police service capable of attracting and sustaining support from the community as a whole."
'Decommissioning scheme' In the Mr Mandelson also said "the putting of IRA arms completely and verifiably beyond use will need to be in accordance with a decommissioning scheme worked out by the International Independent Commission on Decommissioning". The IRA said in its recent statement that it would re-engage with the decommissioning body.
But the IRA has not outlined how it intends to put weapons permanently beyond use. Hardline Unionist Jeffrey Donaldson said he believed the IRA offer could be a "cynical ploy". "If the deal on offer merely permits two international observers access to some arms dumps then this latest contribution by the IRA represents nothing more than a cynical attempt by the republican movement to fool the electorate into believing that they are serious about honouring their commitments under the Belfast Agreement," he said. Anti-agreement Democratic Unionist Party assembly member Nigel Dodds said Peter Mandelson's letter "gave no reassurances which provided certainty or clarity on any of the issues of concern to unionists".
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|