Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
Audio/Video 


The BBC's John Thorne in Belfast
"The government saw the report as significant"
 real 28k

The BBC's Jayne Evans
reviews Friday's dramatic developments
 real 28k

The BBC's David Eades reports
"Devolved government has been working, but now there could be paralysis"
 real 28k

Peter Mandelson
"The IRA's position is still quite unclear"
 real 28k

Sinn Fein negotiator Alex Maskey
"It is unhelpful for the Secretary of State to say he was not aware of those developments"
 real 28k

Jeffrey Donaldson of the Ulster Unionist party
"I think it's ambiguous"
 real 28k

Saturday, 12 February, 2000, 00:29 GMT
'Significant' progress on IRA arms

Sunset over Stormont's fledgling Assembly


A new report on paramilitary disarmament in Northern Ireland indicates that the IRA has shifted significantly on the weapons issue which has deadlocked the peace process.


We find particularly significant the assertion made to us by the IRA representative that the IRA will consider how to put arms and explosives beyond use
The international commission on decommissioning
The latest assessment by Canadian general John de Chastelain's international commission on arms decommissioning was published just hours after direct rule was re-imposed on the province.

The report follows a meeting between the three-man commission and a representative from the IRA on Friday afternoon.

Following the meeting, the decommissioning body said it was "particularly significant" that the IRA was considering how to put arms and explosives beyond use.

The report states: "The representative indicated to us today [Friday] the context in which the IRA will initiate a comprehensive process to put arms beyond use, in a manner as to ensure maximum public confidence.

"The commission believes this commitment holds out the real prospect of an agreement which would enable us to fulfil the substance of its mandate."

The Search for Peace
More related to this story
Link to Sinn Fein
Link to Good Friday Agreement
Link to Decommissioning
Northern Ireland Secretary Peter Mandelson suspended the 72-day-old power-sharing executive on Friday evening.

Reacting to the latest developments, he accepted that the IRA had shifted its position significantly from that which it held two weeks ago.

"Its significance (the second report) is that it would seem that the IRA has somewhat shifted their position from that reflected in General de Chastelain's first report published in January," he said.

"Now there remains certain aspects which are unclear about the IRA's position, and further clarification is needed about what it amounts to.

"But if there is a genuine commitment now on the IRA's part to decommission and preparedness to engage properly with General de Chastelain and his commission and about when this should take place ... then that is genuine substantial progress, but that of course remains still unclear even from General de Chastelain's second report."

Earlier, as he was announcing the suspension of the Northern Ireland executive, Mr Mandelson said there had been some progress in discussions aimed at halting the process of suspending the Northern Ireland Assembly, but not enough.

Peter Mandelson: IRA statement is unclear
He indicated he had based his decision on evidence, contained in an earlier report by General de Chastelain of the international decommissioning commission, that the IRA had not made sufficient progress on the weapons issue.

This report had been delivered to the British and Irish governments on 31 January but was withheld from publication until Friday.

Sinn Fein spokesman Pat Doherty criticised Mr Mandelson "for collapsing the institutions".

"He has destroyed years of work with one disastrous decision and we will have to reflect very seriously on how to move forward from here."

A senior Ulster Unionist said the latest statement was a considerable advance on the position contained on General de Chastelain's 31 January assessment.

"The language is warmer but I think it's very unclear what it means," said Alan McFarland. "It makes an encouraging start to the review."

'Real significance'

A spokesman for Downing Street said: "It's a development of real significance. It will form the basis of our continuing discussions."

The latest developments will be debated at a meeting of the Ulster Unionist party council, which comprises more than 800 grassroots party activists, on Saturday.

The crisis threatening the fragile peace process was brought about by the lack of progress on arms decommissioning and in particular the absence of any handover of IRA weapons.

Mr Trimble had threatened to resign as Assembly First Minister if disarmament did not begin before the end of January.

His resignation would have collapsed the institutions and made it much harder to get them going again.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

See also:
11 Feb 00 |  Northern Ireland
Second De Chastelain report in full
11 Feb 00 |  Northern Ireland
Assembly suspension 'not the end of peace'
11 Feb 00 |  Northern Ireland
Q&A: What happens now devolution is suspended?
11 Feb 00 |  Northern Ireland
First De Chastelain report in full
11 Feb 00 |  Northern Ireland
Angry reaction to suspension
10 Feb 00 |  UK
Political vacuum threatens Northern Ireland

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories