Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
Audio/Video 
Friday, 11 February, 2000, 16:54 GMT
Doubts over fighting in Burundi



Rebel groups and human rights sources in Burundi have cast doubt on reports that between one and two-hundred people were killed in clashes between rival rebel groups.

Radio Burundi and an army spokesman had said the deaths occurred in fighting last week near Bujumbura between two formerly allied rebel groups, the Burundian FNL Front National de Liberation and Rwandan Hutu rebels.

But spokesmen for the Burundian rebels said they had not been engaged in fighting and accused the government of propaganda.

Human rights sources in Bujumbura said they believed that some fighting had occurred between the two rebel groups, but that the number of dead had been greatly exaggerated.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service
Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Africa Contents

Country profiles
Links to other Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories