| You are in: Sport: Football: Scottish Premier | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, 11 February, 2000, 16:51 GMT
Dalglish ready to return
All eyes will be on Kenny Dalglish this Saturday as the Celtic director of football operations steps back into frontline football management. The sacking of John Barnes means that Dalglish takes charge of a top flight team for the first time since Newcastle sacked him in September 1998. Most fans simply want the former Liverpool and Blackburn title-winner to steady the ship after the week's events. And Dalglish himself is set to make changes to the team, while wiping the slate clean after last Tuesday's nightmare cup defeat to Inverness Caledonian Thistle. The stand-in boss said on Friday that Australian striker Mark Viduka would not be punished for his dressing room confrontation with Barnes and assistant Eric Black during half-time on Tuesday.
Dalglish confirmed the Australian had refused to play the second half of the 3-1 home loss to the division one side. "There were a couple of incidents in the dressing room which have been well publicised and recorded," Dalglish said. "There was an incident between Mark Viduka and Eric Black." Dalglish insisted that this had nothing to do with Black's sacking alongside Barnes and Terry McDermott on Thursday. "As regards Mark Viduka the fact he never went out to play was understandable with the frame of mind he was in after what happened at half time. "We don't encourage people who don't want to play for Celtic, but it was in Celtic's best interests at that time that he did not go out to play the second half. "I have spoken to the big fellow and he has told me exactly what happened and if I had been in the dressing room and he was in the same state of mind I would not have asked him to go out on the pitch." Rieper to assist Dalglish also revealed that injured Danish defender Marc Rieper will assist him with coaching duties until a full-time successor is found. But one option that is not available to the new coaching team is Scotland international midfielder Paul Lambert, who is missing with a serious ankle injury. For Dundee, promising striker Graham Bayne is expected to be given another run-out after his impressive performance against Motherwell. But Patricio Bilio is ruled out with a hamstring injury while Nicky Banger is suspended. Kilmarnock v Motherwell Kevin McGowne is ruled out of the Kilmarnock squad with a hamstring injury. However Scotland midfielder Ian Durrant could return after picking up a knock in the Scottish Cup game against Alloa last week. Motherwell manager Billy Davies has a full strength squad to call on but is threatening to make changes after the home defeat by Dundee. Don Goodman could return to the starting line up. St Johnstone v Hibernian Kieran McAnespie could return to Saints squad after scoring for the under21 side this week. Manager Sandy Clark may be looking to strenghten his defence and that could spell a recall for Darren Dods. Former Stockport centre-half Martin McIntosh is suffering from a mild stomach upset and may have to delay his debut. Manager Alex McLeish may stick with the side that drew with Rangers last Sunday. |
Links to other Scottish Premier stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|