Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
Audio/Video 
Friday, 11 February, 2000, 06:57 GMT
French replaced in divided Kosovo town

British troops On Thursday 140 British troops arrived in Mitrovica


British troops have replaced French soldiers on a bridge that divides Serbs and Kosovo Albanians in the town of Mitrovica.

Kosovo: Special Report
The move followed widespread reports that the French had not properly supported other UN peacekeeping forces during clashes in the ethnically-divided town late last week.

At least eight people, mostly Albanians, were killed and dozens injured in a series of grenade attacks, shootings and clashes last Thursday night.

Crowds ran through the district beating up people in the street and attacking them in their homes.

UN police said that while French troops intervened in several critical areas, elsewhere they stood back as Albanians were attacked.

The French strongly deny that they refused to help the 30 UN police officers on the ground at the time.

They said they evacuated over 120 people from their homes that night, and prevented the violence from moving southwards.

Denial

The French commander in the area, Colonel Jean Phillipe Bernard, denied his troops had been requested to intervene, in spite of the fact that two demands were logged in the police record books.

French troops in Mitrovica French troops clear up after last week's unrest before leaving town
Eventually, help did come from Danish K-For troops.

"We had no help from French K-For, the only help we had was from a French medical team. The Danish K-For finally came, thank God, to assist us. The Danish troops were superb," one policeman said.

International peacekeepers said it was the worst outbreak of ethnic violence since the end of the Nato bombing campaign in June last year.

The United Nations said 500 ethnic Albanians had left their homes in the predominantly-Serb northern areas of Mitrovica following the attacks.

The Security Council has condemned the violence.

Council President Arnoldo Listre, said members were calling for an immediate halt to the violence, and he urged all parties to exercise restraint and tolerance.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Europe Contents

Country profiles

See also:
05 Feb 00 |  Europe
Call for calm in Mitrovica
04 Feb 00 |  Europe
Families flee Kosovo violence
05 Feb 00 |  Europe
Spotlight on UN's Kosovo task
04 Feb 00 |  Europe
Analysis: What went wrong?
24 Jun 99 |  Europe
Mitrovica: A divided town
09 Feb 00 |  Europe
K-For 'stood back' in Mitrovica

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories