Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Thursday, 10 February, 2000, 17:32 GMT
Fan banned for sweet throw

Fan banned Mr Elnor was picked out of the crowd by police


A football fan who threw a wine gum into the crowd has been banned from all matches in Britain for a year.

David Elnor was also fined £120 after he admitted throwing what was classed as a missile in the direction of away supporters.

Magistrates in Nottingham handed down the sentence after a steward picked him out from the crowd during Nottingham Forest's home game against Manchester City on Saturday.

Elnor said: "It's bit harsh considering we're talking about a sweet."

The electrician's mate, from West Bridgford, Nottingham, went to the game after being asked by friends.



I had been told to expect a fine, but I never thought it would come to this
David Elnor
They arrived shortly after kick-off and found themselves in A block, at the end of a row of Forest fans.

The court was told that some objects were thrown by the Manchester City side after their players scored a goal in the first half.

Elnor said he reacted by throwing the first thing that came to hand - an orange wine gum from a 35p tube of sweets.

Wine gum

"The next thing I know a policeman came down through the crowd and told me he wanted to have a word with me.

"A steward came and said it was me he had seen throwing something," he said.

He was locked up for three hours - missing the remainder of the game, which Forest lost 3-1 - before finally being charged under the Football Offences Act 1991 and released.

The ban means he cannot attend any domestic league game for 12 months, which will also exclude him from going to support England in their World Cup qualifying clash against Germany in October.

"I'm fed up," he said. "I had been told to expect a fine, but I never thought it would come to this."

The Football Association said it could not comment on the outcome of individual court cases.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to other UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories