| You are in: World: Africa | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 10 February, 2000, 12:07 GMT
Moi seeks Horn peacemaking role
Kenyan President Daniel arap Moi is visiting the Horn of Africa in what some observers say is an attempt to position himself as the main peace negotiator for the region. In the past two days the Kenyan leader has met Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi and Eritrean President Isaias Afwerki.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also confirmed that regional issues were also discussed, in particular the ongoing conflict between Ethiopia and Eritrea, which is now in its 22nd month.
A ministry official said President Moi stated that he wanted a peaceful end to the conflict and would like to help in any way possible.
Radio Ethiopia said Mr Meles had told Mr Moi that peace could only come about through an Organisation of African Unity peace plan. Eritrean radio reported that talks in that country had also affirmed Eritrea's commitment to the OAU plan. PR exercise? Diplomatic sources have suggested that Mr Moi's visit to both countries, is a public relations exercise to coincide with his trip to the United States next week. Many think his latest moves are aimed at promoting himself as the new mediator in the Horn of Africa. But his visit comes only days after a European Union delegation trod a similar path, meeting top Ethiopian and Eritrean officials with a view to hastening the implementation of the OAU plan. Although both Eritrea and Ethiopia have stated their commitment to the OAU proposals, the peace process has stalled over the technical details of the implementation of the plan. The two neighbours went to war over a territorial dispute in May 1998. Tens of thousands of people have died in the conflict, with the heaviest fighting taking place in the Badme area early last year. Relations between the two neighbours have been extremely tense since then. In October Ethiopia reported that its troops had repelled what it said was an Eritrean attack in the Badme region.
|
Links to other Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Africa stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|