Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
Audio/Video 
Thursday, 10 February, 2000, 14:31 GMT
Review of student funding

A review of student funding is announced


A comprehensive review of the present system of tuition fees and loans for students in Northern Ireland has been announced.

Minister for Higher and Further Education, Training and Employment, Dr Sean Farren outlined the details in Belfast on Thursday.

However, with moves afoot to re-introduce direct rule to the province, he could be out of a job by Friday.

Dr Farren said: "I made it very clear on my first day in office that one of the key tasks facing me and my department was to promote wider access to higher and further education, especially for those people who were previously excluded.


I made it very clear on my first day in office that one of the key tasks facing me and my department was to promote wider access to higher and further education, especially for those people who were previously excluded.
Dr Sean Farren
"A review of student support arrangements is a central part of that task."

He said the review would cover students in further and higher education.

It will look at tuition fees, loans, allowances, discretionary awards, universities' access funds and other financial support currently available.

The review will be carried out by officials from Dr Farren's department and will involve an extensive consultation process to give organisations, institutions and individuals with an interest in further and higher education, the opportunity to put forward their views.

Dr Sean Farren: Reviewing situation
A consultation document will then be published in early March with the aim of the minister bringing forward new proposals for consideration in the summer.

In 1998/99 there were 37,311 full-time under-graduate students from Northern Ireland enrolled on higher education courses in the UK and Republic of Ireland.

There were also 20,596 full-time students on further education courses in Northern Ireland.

The minister said he will consider the benefits, as well as the disadvantages of the present system.

He also confirmed that account would be taken of the recent support packages announced for students in Scotland, England and Wales.

Thorough review

Dr Farren added: "I do not intend to predict the outcomes of this review or even speculate on what options might emerge.

"What we need is a thorough review leading to a set of costed proposals for change that will promote wider access to higher and further education.

"Then it will be up to me as minister to argue in government and in the assembly for support, including financial resources, for their implementation."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

See also:
27 Sep 99 |  Northern Ireland
Students hit by loan delay
12 Jan 00 |  Northern Ireland
Students opting for NI universities

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories