| You are in: World: Asia-Pacific | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 10 February, 2000, 13:19 GMT
Timor militia leader arrested
United Nations officials in West Timor have confirmed the arrest of a pro-Indonesian militia leader suspected of involvement in atrocities in East Timor last year. Moko Soares was picked up on Monday after weeks of discussions between the authorities in West Timor, UN officials and General Peter Cosgrove, head of the UN peacekeeping force Interfet.
Mr Soares is being charged with illegal possession and sale of weapons. He is said to have been found with several rifles and other ammunition when he was detained at his home near the border between West and East Timor.
Indonesian and UN police have agreed to jointly interrogate and fingerprint Mr Soares. The UN Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET) wants Indonesia to take legal action against him. "He has been detained in Indonesia, and clearly there is an obligation for him to be tried," UNTAET legal advisor Judge Hans Joerg Strohmeyer said. Mr Strohmeyer said that should Mr Soares not be tried in Indonesia, then he should be extradited to East Timor for trial. "But to my knowledge no formal extradition request has been made," Mr Strohmeyer said, responding to reports that such a demand had already been made.
Killing allegations
Mr Soares was reported to have ordered them to kill someone associated with the United Nations to bolster their standing with Indonesian soldiers, Mr Vieira de Mello said.
The militia herded hundreds of thousands of East Timorese over the border to West Timor during the violence which followed the pro-independence vote in the territory last August. More than 100,000 are still in gang-controlled refugee camps, some of which Secretary-General Kofi Annan will visit next week. Armed police
United Nations police officers in East Timor are being issued with side arms in a bid to address recent violence.
Although every officer in the multinational force has been trained to use firearms, each will undergo further testing to make sure they are competent.
The first side arms will be issued to officers at Dili jail, and to patrol officers over the next month. In other moves aimed at addressing the recent unrest, the force increased patrols of the Dili market and recruited some 200 East Timorese who formerly served with the Indonesian police. Officers arriving in East Timor this week will increase the civilian force's strength to 600 - it is authorised to number up to 1,640. |
Links to other Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|