| You are in: UK | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 10 February, 2000, 01:50 GMT
Fury of hangings case family
The family of two black men found hanged within six months of each other are to ask the Home Secretary to intervene after West Mercia police refused to hand the case over to Scotland Yard.
Relatives of Harold McGowan, 32, and his 20-year-old nephew Jason want the force to hand over the case to the Metropolitan Police's Racial and Violent Crimes Taskforce.
On Wednesday, after West Mercia police refused to do so, relatives said they were "considering their position". Jason McGowan's widow said they would ask the Home Secretary, Jack Straw, to intervene. Harold, also known as Errol, and Jason died in separate incidents in Telford, Shropshire. Six months after Harold was found hanged in a house in the town, Jason was found hanging from railings on New Year's Eve. 'Jumped to conclusions' Jason, a newspaper production worker, had been trying to investigate his uncle's death and both men are said to have suffered threats from white supremacist groups. Some of their relatives believe they may have been murdered by racists. The family has claimed police jumped to the conclusion that both deaths were suicides and did not investigate either properly. Last week West Mercia, after receiving advice from Scotland Yard, agreed to conduct a fresh investigation into the deaths. But Jason McGowan's widow, Sinead, said: "The family has no confidence in West Mercia police to carry out a thorough and proper investigation. "We're bitterly disappointed that the chief constable has refused to recognise the genuine concerns of the family."
Mrs McGowan said: "We are now considering withdrawing our complete co-operation and we shall be asking the Home Secretary to intervene."
The solicitor for Jason McGowan's family, Imran Khan, said the head of the task force, John Grieve, had offered to take over the case but the chief constable of West Mercia, Peter Hampson, had refused. 'Unable to meet his demands' Mr Hampson said: "Mr Khan demanded I hand over the investigation into these cases to the Metropolitan Police Racial and Violent Crimes Taskforce and demanded that no other West Mercia staff should be involved from now on. "After very careful consideration, I was unable to meet his demands." He said he had full confidence in Detective Superintendent Mel Shore, who is heading up the new investigation. Mr Hampson said: "The family want questions answered and so do we. I think it is vitally important that the family and police force move forward and work together to solve these issues."
|
Links to other UK stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more UK stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|