Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


The BBC's Paul Adams reports
"Today they are sheltering underground or they have gone"
 real 28k

The BBC's Hilary Andersson reports
"These are the fiercest Israeli attacks"
 real 28k

Salim Al-Hoss, Lebanese Prime Minister
"It will be harmful to the peace process"
 real 28k

Tuesday, 8 February, 2000, 15:17 GMT
Hezbollah hits back

Residents of Kiryat Shmona in an air raid shelter Israeli residents near the Lebanese border spent the night in shelters


An Israeli soldier has been killed by Hezbollah guerrillas, hours after Jerusalem launched intense bombing raids against targets in Lebanon.

Lebanese security officials said the Israeli soldier - the sixth to die in southern Lebanon in the past fortnight - was killed on Tuesday when guerrillas fired rockets at the Israeli military outpost at Dabshe.

Tens of thousands of Israelis had been preparing for retaliatory strikes by Hezbollah following Israeli bombing raids on power stations in Lebanon on Monday night.

At least 17 people were wounded in the Israeli attacks, which were the heaviest for seven months.

BBC Jerusalem correspondent Hilary Andersson says the fighting may spell the end of the peace process between Israel and Syria, a major power broker in Lebanon.



Many, many residents have left. We've been living this nightmare for 33 years
Resident of Kiryat Shmona
Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak said he would not close the door to peace, but would do what was necessary to protect his people.

"Our operation yesterday intended to signal to the Lebanese Government and Hezbollah and even the Syrians that Israel is not willing to accept unilateral violations and we will do whatever it takes to defend our citizens," Mr Barak said, as he visited an underground bomb shelter near the Lebanese border.

Syrian Foreign Minister Farouk al-Sharaa said Israel had "shaken the foundations of the peace process" and official radio accused Mr Barak of pushing the region towards an atmosphere of violence.

The Israeli cabinet minister, Haim Ramon, said his country would no longer abide by a 1996 truce calling for protection of civilians in the event of Hezbollah retaliation.

Click here to see Israel's bombing targets

Many Israelis living along the border with Lebanon spent the night in air raid shelters.


Fire rises from the power station near Beirut Fire rises from the power station near Beirut
They were advised by the army to remain in the underground shelters until further notice, while schools in the area are shut.

Others fled south in their cars just before Israeli military planes went into action in Lebanon.

One resident in the border town of Kiryat Shmona said: "Many, many residents have left. We've been living this nightmare for 33 years."

Hezbollah warned

Israel's chief of military operations, Major-General Giora Eiland, said the raids on power stations at Jamhour near Beirut, Baalbek in the east, and at Tripoli in northern Lebanon, had been aimed at the Hezbollah guerrilla group.


Hezbollah guerrillas threaten to retaliate Hezbollah guerrillas threaten to retaliate
He warned Hezbollah against any form of retaliation.

"Our aim was to restrain Hezbollah," he said. "Clearly if Katyushas (rockets) are fired, it cannot go unanswered.

"An international terrorist attack on civilians in northern Israel will oblige us to take additional action which will be more severe than what we did during the night."

Hezbollah's response

But within hours of the overnight raid, Hezbollah made it clear it would not be intimidated.

"We reserve the right to retaliate at the appropriate time, which could be very soon," the group said.


Firefighters at the hit Tripoli power station Firefighters in action after the Tripoli attack

Hezbollah said in a statement: "The night-time attack cannot protect the Israeli army in the occupied zone from strikes by the resistance and (Israeli) soldiers will remain targets for Mujahedeen bombs, rockets and ambushes."

The escalation of military tension between Israel and Lebanon comes at a critical time in Israel's land-for-peace talks with Syria, accused by Israel of supporting Hezbollah.

Prime Minister Barak has pledged to withdraw Israeli troops from southern Lebanon by July. That promise was reinforced on Tuesday by foreign minister David Levy.




(click here to return)

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Middle East Contents

Country profiles

See also:
08 Feb 00 |  Middle East
Analysis: Gloves off in Lebanon
08 Feb 00 |  Middle East
Raids stir angry words
08 Feb 00 |  Middle East
Picture gallery: Israel's raids on Lebanon
15 Dec 99 |  Middle East
Analysis: The Lebanon factor
02 Feb 00 |  Middle East
Hezbollah: 'Peace with Israel impossible'
07 Feb 00 |  Middle East
Barak warns Hezbollah of reprisals
06 Feb 00 |  Middle East
Hezbollah bomb kills Israeli soldier

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories