A British soldier has been killed by a roadside bomb while on patrol five miles south east of Basra in Iraq, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed.
The soldiers were on patrol five miles from Basra
The dead soldier was from 1 Yorkshire Regiment. The explosion on Friday also injured three other soldiers.
The MoD said one of the injured men was in a critical condition.
All three have been airlifted by helicopter to the hospital at Basra and none of the soldiers' identities has been released.
An MoD spokesman said the dead soldier's name would not be released until his family had been informed.
The men were all travelling in a "Snatch" Landrover, which are lightly armoured vehicles.
This latest death brings the total number of UK troops killed as a result of hostile action to 101.
It is also the second British military death this week. On Monday, Second Lieutenant Jonathan Carlos Bracho-Cooke was killed by a roadside bomb while on patrol.
His fiancee Laura Bottomley described him as "caring, loyal and incredibly funny" at a press conference held by his family in Hove on Friday.
The couple had been due to get married on 9 August.