Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


BBC Wales's Melanie Doel reports
"Jones ran off and hid in a caravan in Bournemouth."
 real 28k

Monday, 7 February, 2000, 23:25 GMT
Tougher sentences urged for 'joy-riders'

David Lewis's family The family of David Lewis were left devastated


The family of a man killed in a hit-and-run incident have called for tougher sentencing on so-called joy-riders.

Relatives of 30-year-old David Lewis, from Rhondda, south Wales, spoke out after the seven-and-a-half year sentence handed out on Monday to Stephen Jones.

Mr Jones, 25, ran over the father-of-two and left him dead in the road while he showed off to his friends at high speed in a stolen car.

Richard Lewis said the court should have handed down a longer sentence on Mr Jones for the death of his son.

He believes such cases should be dealt with as manslaughter.

"Giving him a bigger sentence would highlight the dangerous driving," he said.


David Lewis David Lewis died after a night out
"It has caused so much devastation with the family, it has been an absolute nightmare.

"Up until today, we were coming to terms with it, but the case has brought it back again. Time will be the healer."

Mr Lewis was killed as he walked home after a night out with his wife in the Rhondda.

Stephen Jones, 25, who was driving the car, had earlier been drinking and smoking cannabis, Merthyr Crown Court heard.

He had a string of motoring offences but had never had a driving licence or taken a test.

The court heard how after he ran into Mr Lewis, while doing twice the speed limit, he lost control of the car and it crashed into a wall.

Judge John Curran said Jones did nothing but flout the law.

Ran from the car

He and two other men ran from the car leaving Mr Lewis dead in the road.

Jones had already admitted causing death by dangerous driving, aggravated vehicle taking and driving whilst banned and uninsured.

Barry Williams, from the Rhondda, who was also in the car, was jailed for three-and-half years.

A third defendant, 20-year-old Lewis Morgan, who also admitted to being in the car, will be sentenced next Monday.

At the time of the incident, the victim's wife, Sarah Lewis, said: "We were walking side by side and the next thing, a car came out of nowhere and he was gone. It happened so quickly."

The couple have two children, Kayleigh, 10, and Josh, aged three.

Friends and relatives of Mr Lewis laid cards and flowers at the scene of the crash.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

See also:
25 Oct 99 |  Wales
Hit-and-run victim's widow seeks justice
Links to other Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories