| You are in: Sport | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, 7 February, 2000, 20:50 GMT
Two more athletes fail drug tests
Another two British athletes have tested positive for the banned steroid nandrolone, as the controversial drug continues to plague the sport.
UK Athletics chief David Moorcroft said he would announce their names later this week. "It is our policy on doping matters neither to confirm nor deny any issues until all of the appropriate parties have been informed," Moorcroft said. And Fraser Reid, the lawyer acting for one of the athletes being investigated, confirmed a statement would be made on behalf of his client. Christie's waiting game They are the latest in a series of athletes to test positive for the substance.
Former Olympic 100 metres champion Linford Christie was the biggest name to fall foul of the testing procedure.
His case, along with that of European 200m gold medallist Doug Walker and 400m hurdler Gary Cadogan has been referred to the International Amateur Athletic Federation's arbitration panel after all three denied taking the steroid. The IAAF said last week that the cases were expected to be heard in the first week in April. Jamaican sprinter Merlene Ottey also tested positive for nandrolone, but was cleared by her national federation. The IAAF is also likely to refer her case to arbitration.
|
Links to other Sport stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|