| You are in: World: Middle East | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, 7 February, 2000, 16:01 GMT
Erekat demands answers from Israel The Palestinians have said no meaningful talks with Israel are possible until it makes clear how it intends to pursue the peace process in the coming months. A senior Palestinian negotiator, Sa'eb Erekat, interviewed by the BBC following last week's breakdown in negotiations, said his side had put a number of important questions to the Israelis and was still awaiting their reply. One question was whether Israel intended carrying out its next troop withdrawal without consultation -- the Israelis have omitted from their plans areas close to Jerusalem which the Palestinians are demanding. Another was whether Israel wanted to continue negotiations on the outline of a final settlement beyond next Sunday's deadline, or simply move on to a final accord. However, the BBC Jerusalem correspondent says there's little sign the Israelis will take the Palestinians' concerns on board -- or that the Americans will pressure them to do so. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
Links to other Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|