Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


The BBC's Michael Williams reports
"The bodies of about 150 Chechens are said to lying on a battlefield"
 real 28k

The BBC's Andrew Harding
"There is compelling evidence from eyewitnesses"
 real 28k

Monday, 7 February, 2000, 17:42 GMT
'Hundreds killed' in Russian attacks

'Victorious' Russian soldiers in central Grozny


Russian armed forces say they have killed hundreds of Chechen rebels over the weekend.

Battle for the Caucasus
Many rebel fighters are reported to have stopped in the villages on their way from the capital, Grozny, to fortified bases in the southern mountains.

The Russians said they attacked and destroyed a convoy of 15 trucks leaving the village of Gekhi-Chu, 25km (15 miles) south-west of the capital.


A Soviet flag on an antenna in Minutka square
They say they found the bodies of more than 300 rebels after a battle near the village of Katyr-Yurt.

The Russians have been keeping up the pressure on the fleeing rebels, with helicopters flying 60 missions into the Argun and Vedeno gorges in the past 24 hours, the main routes into the mountains.

On the ground, Chechen sources said Russian troops launched a heavy attack on Duba-Yurt, a village at the entrance to the Argun gorge.

The casualty figures can not be independently verified.

Chechen resistance

The attacks come after Mr Putin announced on Sunday that the military operation in Grozny had come to an end.



We have given up the city. We will take it back at a later date
Chechen leader Aslan Maskhadov
He said that a Russian flag had been hoisted on top of an administrative building, and the campaign would now focus on the rebels' southern strongholds.

According to Interfax, Moscow has pulled 150 troops and four armoured vehicles from combat operations in Chechnya.

But the Chechens have insisted that the war is far from over. They have threatened to launch guerrilla attacks from their mountain bases.

The Chechen leader, Aslan Maskhadov, vowed to retake Grozny.

Click here to see a map of Chechen movements

"For the time being, we have given up the city. We will take it back at a later date," Mr Maskhadov said in an interview in the Spanish daily La Vanguardia.

He said the bulk of his forces had left the city in two groups: one of 2,000 fighters that got out safely, and another of at least 300 that ran into a minefield. He did not specify how many casualties the second group suffered.

Reports of atrocities

There have been more reports of Russian soldiers killing civilians in Grozny.


Chechen refugees continue to flee the fighting
One report quoted a 40-year-old Chechen woman, Kheida Makhayuri, now in hospital in Ingushetia, as saying that Russian soldiers had blindfolded her and other women, then shot them from behind.

The women had caught the soldiers stealing mattresses from an apartment building.

Her companions were killed instantly, but she was hit in the shoulder and pretended to be dead while the soldiers ripped her earrings off.

The New York based Human Rights Watch group has documented eight incidents in the Staropromyslovsky district of Grozny, in which 22 civilians were killed by Russian troops.

"A disturbing number of civilians have been murdered by Russian troops in Grozny," said researcher Peter Bouckaert. He accused Russian commanders of turning a blind eye to the killings.




Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Europe Contents

Country profiles

See also:
07 Feb 00 |  Europe
New government for Chechnya
01 Feb 00 |  Europe
Analysis: Conflict not over yet
06 Feb 00 |  Europe
Putin on target for presidency
07 Feb 00 |  Europe
Putin: 'Grozny liberated'
03 Feb 00 |  Europe
Chechen rebels 'set up mountain base'
02 Feb 00 |  Europe
Turkey succours wounded Chechens
27 Jan 00 |  Europe
Refugees battle Caucasus winter
30 Jan 00 |  From Our Own Correspondent
The shifting sands of war

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories