Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Sunday, 6 February, 2000, 21:24 GMT
More UN troops for Kosovo

A family grieves for a victim of the violence


By Nicholas Wood in Mitrovica

More UN troops are to be deployed in the north of Kosovo following the murder of at least eight people.

Kosovo: Special Report
The United Nations Secretary-General's Special Representative, Bernard Kouchner, announced the increase on a visit to the divided town of Mitrovica, which has been the focus for three days of violence.

Dr Kouchner revealed the decision after a meeting with the leaders of the Serb and Albanian communities in the town.

The exact number of reinforcements and the timing of deployment has yet to be confirmed.

K-For officials admit that the violence is the worst they have seen since entering the province last summer.


albanians Tear gas disperses the crowd
Earlier, the first of eight people - all of them believed to be ethnic Albanians - was buried. The victims were killed in their homes or on the street after a grenade attack on a cafe in the Serb-dominated north of the town on Thursday night.

Mitrovica has been divided into two since the arrival of UN troops in June last year: Serbs dominate the north, and Albanians the south.

For a third day in succession, tear-gas has been used to prevent stone-throwing youths from crossing over to the north.

A group of about 1,000 Albanians have been protesting outside the French military barracks in the south of the town because of what they see as the soldiers' failure to stop the violence.

In spite of K-For's reassurances, Albanians continue to leave their homes in the north.

The UNHCR said at least 10 families were escorted south by troops and police on Sunday, bringing the total number of refugees to just under 300 - more may have left by their own means.

'Peace wanted'

Describing the situation as "extremely serious", General Pierre de Saqui de Sannes said 41 people, including 11 French soldiers, had been injured in Saturday's clashes.

He told a news conference that a night curfew, imposed on Friday, would have to remain for at least three days.

"My feeling is that the majority of the people in this country wants peace," he said. "But, unfortunately, extremist groups of whatever kind only want to maintain a situation of chaos."

The survival of a multi-ethnic Mitrovica must seem ever more remote.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Europe Contents

Country profiles

See also:
05 Feb 00 |  Europe
Call for calm in Mitrovica
04 Feb 00 |  Europe
Families flee Kosovo violence
05 Feb 00 |  Europe
Spotlight on UN's Kosovo task
04 Feb 00 |  Europe
Analysis: What went wrong?
02 Feb 00 |  Europe
Rocket attack on Kosovo Serb bus
06 Jan 00 |  From Our Own Correspondent
Kosovo's uncertain new year
24 Jun 99 |  Europe
Mitrovica: A divided town

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories