| You are in: UK | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, 6 February, 2000, 19:43 GMT
Sponsors 'called for Dome resignation'
The Millennium Dome's former chief executive is thought to have resigned after pressure from sponsors unhappy with its bad publicity. The companies are said to have demanded management changes after bad publicity and poor attendance figures. Following a series of top-level meetings, Jennie Page has been replaced at the helm of the New Millennium Experience Company. Her job has been given to Pierre-Yves Gerbeau, the man credited with turning around the fortunes of Disneyland in Paris. Ms Page's fate is said to have been decided when the Dome's poor attendance figures were announced by NMEC's managing director Liam Kane. On average, 11,000 people visited the Dome each day in January - only 3% of its total target for 2000.
It is understood representatives from all the sponsors met early last week.
Anticipating the NMEC was about to announce disappointing first-month figures, they demanded Ms Page be removed and replaced by a high-profile figure with experience of running a major visitor attraction. On Wednesday, Ms Page met with the sponsors, along with Lord Falconer, the government minister responsible for the project. Behind the scenes, it is thought NMEC had already been wooing Monsieur Gerbeau, who spent two days at the Dome last week. It is believed the original plan was for Mr Gerbeau to take up a new position - that of the company's chief operating officer.
But a third meeting on Thursday between NMEC chairman Bob Ayling, and Ms Page put paid to any suggestion of her remaining and working alongside the Frenchman.
Mr Ayling is said to have told a shocked Ms Page she was being fired. The company had planned to make the announcement of Mr Gerbeau's arrival on Monday but the news leaked out on Saturday afternoon. Despite the revelations of the weekend, Mr Ayling offered high praise to Ms Page for her efforts on behalf of all the Dome's sponsors. He said: "Jennie Page has done an extraordinary job in delivering the Dome on time.
"She has shown remarkable courage and drive in successfully managing one of the most demanding construction and design projects
ever asked of any individual.
"The NMEC board pays tribute to her personal achievement which must never be underestimated." However, Mr Ayling added that "different skills" were now needed to ensure the public "enjoys the best possible experience" when they visit the Dome and to "make it a first-class visitor attraction". He said: "The board is confident that Pierre-Yves has all the right credentials to tackle the challenge, enhance the successful operation of the Dome and ensure that it reaches its potential to be a world-class visitor attraction." Adrian Hosford, Dome director for BT, which sponsors the Talk zone, also paid tribute to Ms Page. He said: "All the sponsors have the greatest admiration for Jennie Page and her achievement in delivering such a challenging project on time." Only one more key meeting is planned between the NMEC board and Ms Page- to discuss her financial settlement. |
Links to other UK stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more UK stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|