Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


The BBC's John McIntyre
"Attendance is well below target"
 real 28k

Sunday, 6 February, 2000, 13:25 GMT
Dome 'not in trouble'

Attendance figures for January have been poor


Millennium Dome minister Lord Falconer has denied the attraction is in crisis after the resignation of its chief executive.

But he said Jennie Page's replacement, Pierre-Yves Gerbeau, from Disneyland Paris, was just what the Dome needed.

It was not too late to give the Dome a new boss despite relentless negative publicity and poor attendance figures, he said.

He denied Ms Page had done a bad job while in charge, saying the building had moved from being a building project to a major attraction and needed a new sort of manager.


Jennie Page: Resigned on Saturday
"He has got a proven track record as a first class operator of a visitor attraction," he said of Mr Gerbeau.

"I am quite sure he will bring those skills that he learnt and put into practice there, into running the Dome."

However Conservative leader William Hague said Ms Page was "a bit of a scapegoat", and that government ministers had been "hugely involved" in the project.

Speaking on BBC One's Breakfast With Frost, he said: "Now those ministers are blaming her. The Dome is becoming all too much of a representation of New Labour - lots of hype beforehand, and then a sense of being let down and disappointed, and then blame someone else."

He conceded the idea was conceived under the Tory Government, but said "we have ended up with something that's very glitzy on the outside but is a little empty when you're trapped on the inside".


The Dome's attractions have failed to pull the crowds
Ms Page resigned on Saturday, a day after figures showed just 320,000 people visited the Millennium Dome in its first month - roughly 11,000 a day. Mr Gerbeau, 34, has been credited with turning around the Disneyland Paris operation after a problematic launch.

Cabinet Office Minister Mo Mowlam welcomed the appointment of Mr Gerbeau and said: "We want the best person for the job, whether it's a Frenchman, a German or an Italian, man or woman."

She told ITV's Sunday Programme: "Jennie Page has done an excellent job of getting the Dome up and working. Many people did not think it could be done but she did it and we owe her a big thank you.

"But there is no doubt that there was always a perception that to run it, to manage a visitor attraction, you would need different talents."

Management skills

He said: "No-one is apportioning blame in any way. No-one is trying to dump on Jennie. She did a good job.

"We all accept that there have been difificulties but we hope that by changing the management to someone who is skilled in doing this we will get over some of those problems and move forward."

The NMEC this week applied to the Millennium Commission for a multi-million pound cash injection to cover its running costs.

Some companies have withheld sponsorship money until the Dome is on a more solid footing.


Body Zone queues Long queues plagued the Dome in early January
Ms Page, 55, was placed in charge of the Millennium Dome in 1996, and was contracted to complete her task in 2001.

A former chief executive of English Heritage, she was due to receive a £200,000 performance-related bonus for successful completion of the project.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

See also:
06 Feb 00 |  UK
The Dome - from conception to birth
05 Feb 00 |  UK
Profile: New blood at the Dome
08 Jan 00 |  UK
The Dome's embattled dame
01 Feb 00 |  UK
Testing time at the Dome
02 Feb 00 |  UK
Visitors hail Dome service
02 Feb 00 |  UK
Dome v Wheel: How London's new titans square up
28 Jan 00 |  UK
Dome dogged by loan crisis

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories