Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


The BBC's Andrew Harding
"The rebels have taken a hammering but are still a serious threat"
 real 28k

Sunday, 6 February, 2000, 01:30 GMT
Survivors tell of Grozny atrocities

Chechen refugees queue for aid


By Paul Wood in Nazran

Chechen civilians say that Russian soldiers went on a looting spree and carried out summary executions during the operation to take the capital, Grozny.

Battle for the Caucasus
The Human Rights Watch organisation says it has been given the names of 36 people killed in the Staropromyslovsky district of the Chechen capital and has witness statements and even survivor accounts to substantiate the allegations.

The Russian army's operation to take Grozny should have been the end of an ordeal for the city's besieged population.



She didn't even have time to say let me go
Chechen refugee
But Chechen civilians say that instead, there was fresh terror, as groups of soldiers ran amok, looting and carrying out summary executions.

One woman who is now recovering in hospital told me that she was hiding in a cellar there with five other people, who were all shot at point-blank range after Russian soldiers began looting. She survived by playing dead.

Another woman was arrested with two of her neighbours when they saw troops carrying stolen goods to an armoured vehicle:

Click here to see a map of the latest fighting

"My neighbour and I were clutching each other's hands," she said. The third woman said 'take whatever you want, we have children, just don't kill us.' They made us go into one little room.

"They just shot her in the head. She didn't even have time to say let me go - they just shot her ..."

One family said they had lost a mother and son killed together.

They produced bloodstained clothing full of holes which they said were evidence that a knife had been used.

These are allegations, but the Human Rights Watch organisation says it has more than a dozen similar accounts from people in this part of Grozny.


Bad discipline rather than deliberate policy is being blamed
It is blaming bad discipline rather than any deliberate policy, but says the Russian military authorities should still be called to account.

The reports come at a time when the Russian army is continuing to pursue Chechen rebels into the countryside southwest of Grozny.

Military sources and displaced people say 50 separatist fighters and many civilians have been killed.

The Russians suspect the villages are harbouring some of the 3,000 rebels who have broken through the blockade of the capital since Monday.

They aim to prevent the rebels from reaching mountain strongholds to the south, where thousands of their comrades are concentrated.






Click here to return

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Europe Contents

Country profiles

See also:
05 Feb 00 |  Europe
Russians pursue Chechen rebels
06 Feb 00 |  Europe
Putin on target for Presidency
04 Feb 00 |  Europe
Russia to cut Chechnya force
03 Feb 00 |  Europe
Chechen rebels 'set up mountain base'
01 Feb 00 |  Europe
Analysis: Conflict not over yet
02 Feb 00 |  Europe
Turkey succours wounded Chechens
31 Jan 00 |  Europe
US warns Russia over Chechnya
27 Jan 00 |  Europe
Refugees battle Caucasus winter
30 Jan 00 |  From Our Own Correspondent
The shifting sands of war

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories