Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
Audio/Video 


The BBC's Jacky Rowland in Belgrade
"K-For is struggling to restore order"
 real 28k

Sunday, 6 February, 2000, 00:30 GMT
Call for calm in Mitrovica

K-For troops K-For troops clear up after the violence


The commander of Nato-led peacekeepers in the northern Kosovo town of Mitrovica has appealed for calm after a second day of violent clashes between his own troops and ethnic Albanians.

Kosovo: Special Report
K-For soldiers dressed in body armour used tear gas and truncheons on Saturday to prevent hundreds of stone-throwing protesters from crossing a bridge into the Serb-dominated north side of the town.

Local members of the Kosovo Protection Force, the civilian successor of the rebel Kosovo Liberation Army, eventually calmed tensions.

The Albanians are angry at what they say is the peacekeepers' failure to prevent the killing of eight Albanians over the past few days.


We are dealing with extremists, who will not allow the people of northern Kosovo to live in peace
General Pierre de Saqui de Sannes
Describing the situation as "extremely serious", General Pierre de Saqui de Sannes said 41 people, including 11 French soldiers, had been injured in Saturday's clashes.

He told a news conference that a night curfew, imposed on Friday, would have to remain for at least three days.

"My feeling is that the majority of the people in this country wants peace," he said. "But, unfortunately, extremist groups of whatever kind only want to maintain a situation of chaos."

Families flee

K-For said it had no information to back up a claim by local people that a 15-year-old Albanian had been wounded by a bullet fired from the northern side of the town. The boy's father insisted his son had been shot by K-For troops.

albanians Tear gas disperses the crowd


Violence has flared in Mitrovica since a rocket attack on a bus on Wednesday, in which two Serbs were killed.

Clashes on Thursday night left seven people dead, at least five of them ethnic Albanians, and 20 people injured.

Since then, dozens of ethnic Albanian families have fled their homes in the Serb-dominated town.

General De Saqui de Sannes said his troops had escorted around 100 ethnic Albanians from the north of the city to the south over the past few days. He said the measure was only temporary.

Albanian leaders in the city have warned that northern Mitrovica could be "ethnically cleansed" of Albanians as a result of the violence.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Europe Contents

Country profiles

See also:
04 Feb 00 |  Europe
Families flee Kosovo violence
05 Feb 00 |  Europe
Spotlight on UN's Kosovo task
04 Feb 00 |  Europe
Analysis: What went wrong?
02 Feb 00 |  Europe
Rocket attack on Kosovo Serb bus
06 Jan 00 |  From Our Own Correspondent
Kosovo's uncertain new year
24 Jun 99 |  Europe
Mitrovica: A divided town

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories