Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Saturday, 5 February, 2000, 22:22 GMT
Third call for Wiranto to go

wiranto General Wiranto continues to attend cabinet meetings


The Indonesian President Abdurrahman Wahid has again called on the former armed forces chief, General Wiranto, to resign from the government.

It is the third time in the past week that Mr Wahid has asked General Wiranto to step down - and the president said he hoped the resignation would be handed in before his return from a tour of Europe.


wahid President Wahid has warned against a coup in his absence
He said General Wiranto would be placed on trial for his role in last year's atrocities in East Timor and would have to leave the cabinet while the case was being heard.

General Wiranto has refused to accept the findings of an Indonesian inquiry into the events in East Timor, which he said had ignored army evidence.

Mr Wahid was speaking after meeting Pope John Paul II at the Vatican. They discussed the Christian-Muslim violence that has cost the lives of hundreds of Indonesians over the past year.

The repeated calls for General Wiranto's resignation has led to increased tension.

The head of the Indonesian army said on Friday that the situation caused by the refusal of former armed forces chief, General Wiranto, to resign from government was becoming "dangerous and uncertain".

General Tyasno Sudarto said he guaranteed that the army, as an institution, would not launch a coup, but he could not supervise his officers individually.

Despite the pressure, General Wiranto has continued to attend cabinet meetings and turned up for work in his office.

The former armed forces chief has also strongly defended his role in protecting and helping arrange the referendum in East Timor last year in which the population voted for independence from Indonesia.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Asia-Pacific Contents

Country profiles

See also:
04 Feb 00 |  Asia-Pacific
Indonesian army chief warns of danger
03 Feb 00 |  Asia-Pacific
Wahid warns military against coup
31 Jan 00 |  Asia-Pacific
Wiranto faces prosecution over Timor
15 Jan 00 |  Asia-Pacific
US warns Indonesian generals
10 Jan 00 |  Asia-Pacific
Analysis: Tough times for Indonesia's military
22 Dec 99 |  Asia-Pacific
Indonesia rejects UN Timor probe
14 Dec 99 |  Asia-Pacific
Wahid: Generals should stand trial
29 Nov 99 |  Asia-Pacific
Indonesia 'responsible' for Timor destruction

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories