Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


BBC Wales's Matthew Richards
"A friend of Mr Sewell is concerned his strong beliefs could kill him."
 real 28k

Saturday, 5 February, 2000, 11:56 GMT
Pensioner's home help hunger strike

Peter Sewell has not eaten for five days Peter Sewell has not eaten for five days


A disabled pensioner is on hunger strike in protest at a council's decision to charge for home care.

Peter Sewell from Mountain Ash in the South Wales Valleys, has not eaten for six days.

The 70-year-old said he is prepared to die to draw attention to the plight of people who cannot afford care.

Mr Sewell hopes to collect 10,000 signatures Mr Sewell hopes to collect 10,000 signatures
Mr Sewell is confined to a wheelchair and suffers from chronic kidney disease.

He wants the Plaid Cymru-led Rhondda Cynon Taff County Borough Council to provide free home care for those who need it.

The authority's charges - which come into effect next month - range from £5 to £15 per week for home carers.

Mr Sewell has so far collected 1,500 signatures in support of his hunger strike and hopes to gather 10,000.

A friend of Mr Sewell, who offers him regular help to live a relatively independent life, is concerned that his strong beliefs could kill him.

'He will die'

"He will die, I know he will," said Betty Littlejohns.

"It's a heartbreaking situation. He's a very respected, well thought of man and he's got to take this stand. I can understand why he's doing it."

Rhondda Cynon Taff insists the charges are relatively low compared to the rest of Wales and that they are necessary to raise round £950,000 a year for the services.

A spokesman for the council said the action taken by Peter Sewell was regrettable and is appealing to him to reconsider his action.

The council insists its decision to introduce charges for home care was taken reluctantly after very careful consideration.

He also confirmed that council leader Pauline Jarman, along with other council officials, have spoken to Mr Sewell to try to allay his concerns.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories