Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Americas
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Saturday, 5 February, 2000, 00:47 GMT
Fresh appeal for Elian's return

elian Elian is at the centre of the diplomatic storm


The father of Elian Gonzalez - the six-year-old boy at the centre of an ongoing international custody battle - has made a fresh appeal for his son to be returned to Cuba.

Juan Miguel Gonzalez has urged Washington to protect his son from political harassment and media intrusion while the boy remains in the US.

Mr Gonzalez has also asked that Elian be removed from the care of a great-uncle, Lazaro Gonzalez, and placed with another US relative who supports the boy's repatriation to Cuba.


father Juan Miguel Gonzalez: Concerned about his son's safety
The requests were made in a letter sent to US Attorney General Janet Reno and Doris Meissner, commissioner of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (INS).

Elian has been at the centre of intense legal and political wrangling since he was rescued from the sea off Florida in 2 November. His mother had drowned in the attempt to flee Cuba with her son.

In his letter, Mr Gonzalez, who has backed Havana's efforts to seek Elian's repatriation, called on the US Government to respect the ruling of its own immigration officials and return the boy.

In a reference to the ruling by the INS last month, he said: "Let my son be given to me in line with the January 5 decision."

'Gross invasion of privacy'

He also appealed for the boy to be shielded from further intense media scrutiny.

"This gross invasion of his privacy and lack of respect for his childish innocence must cease completely and immediately," he said.


school run Elian leaves for school in Miami with his great-uncle Lazaro Gonzalez
Juan Miguel Gonzalez also demanded that until this repatriation was carried out the INS should remove Elian from the home in Miami of Lazaro Gonzalez.

Lazaro Gonzalez and his family are disputing the INS ruling in the US courts.

The father asked that Elian be transferred to the residence of another great-uncle in Miami, Manolo Gonzalez, who is known to back the boy's return to Cuba.

The letter was the latest step in a highly-politicised custody tug-of-war that has divided Elian's relatives in Miami and Cuba and inflamed passions on both sides of the Florida Straits.

It has also posed a tricky problem for Washington, which does not have formal diplomatic ties with Havana.

The father's letter was made public in Havana by President Fidel Castro's government, which has thrown its official weight behind Juan Miguel Gonzalez in the protracted and bitter custody dispute with the exiled relatives in Miami.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE


Americas Contents

Country profiles

See also:
03 Feb 00 |  Americas
Cuban families separated by politics
03 Feb 00 |  Americas
Elian: View from Cuba
01 Feb 00 |  Americas
Head to Head: The Elian Gonzalez case
01 Feb 00 |  Americas
In pictures: Cuban boy wins hearts
01 Feb 00 |  Health
'Elian is at psychological risk'
01 Feb 00 |  Americas
Tug-of-love over Elian
29 Jan 00 |  From Our Own Correspondent
The Dalai Lama of Little Havana
16 Jan 00 |  Americas
Analysis: Politics cloud Elian case

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Americas stories