| You are in: UK: Scotland | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Friday, 4 February, 2000, 19:35 GMT
Divers recover trawler bodies
Divers have recovered the bodies of the seven crewmen who lost their lives when the trawler Solway Harvester sank off the Isle of Man. The families of the dead, who flew to the island on Thursday, were said to be tearful, but relieved on hearing the news.
Divers reached the vessel - where it lay 38 metres down on the seabed, 10 miles off the Isle of Man - and found all seven bodies - three on the gutting deck and four in the sleeping quarters.
They were transferred to the salvage vessel CSO Wellservicer and taken back to the Isle of Man on Friday evening. An inquest will be opened on Saturday and the bodies will be returned to their families on Sunday. They are expected to be brought back to the south west of Scotland on Monday. The salvage team still intend to lift the wreck, but not until weather conditions are more favourable. Prayers for operation's success Minister, the Rev. Alexander Currie, who had travelled with the families spoke about their reaction to the news. He said: "There were many tears and I joined them in those tears, there were tears of relief that all seven bodies had been found. "There were prayers in church last Sunday that all seven would be brought home and I thank God that those prayers were heard on their behalf.
"I have been with the families in their grief as a fellow traveller in this journey, it is not yet complete and will not be complete for years to come.
"Our desire was to bring the men home for a burial that would be appropriate to their memories." The funerals are likely to take place next week. Isle of Man chief minister Donald Gelling, who had overseen the operation, said everyone's thoughts were with the families. He added: "As far as the Isle of Man government is concerned we are extremely relieved that we have been able to get the bodies for the coroner for the inquest." Bad weather The operation to raise the vessel and retrieve the bodies had been continually hampered by bad weather and the divers volunteered to commence a risky underwater recovery. Experts said they accepted that the diving operation would not be without hazards.
Premliminary assessment of the Kirkcudbright-registered scallop dredger pinpointed three of the bodies and experts had expressed hopes that the remaining four would be found.
At lunchtime, divers from the salvage vessel used a dive bell and heavy suits to carry out the operation. Two of the three members of the team sent to the wreck searched the engine room and crew's quarters and within two hours the bodies had been brought to the surface. The wreck was being towed underneath the salvage vessel after being lifted a few metres from the sea bed where she had sunk 11 miles off the islland on 11 January. Salvage experts were taking it into calmer waters about four miles off the island's Laxey Bay before attempting to lift her to the surface. But police said the CSO Wellservicer was able to take the Solway Harvester only one mile before she had to lower the vessel back down to the sea bed as poor weather once more caused problems. After another day of tension, the divers decided to enter the vessel and look for the remains of the crew.
|
Links to other Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Scotland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|