Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Friday, 4 February, 2000, 14:47 GMT
Russia plans partial Chechnya withdrawal

Russia says it is preparing to withdraw a significant part of its troops from Chechnya following recent gains in the fighting with Chechen rebels.

The Russian deputy chief of staff, General Valery Manilov, said the decision had been reached at a high-level defence meeting in the Kremlin.

But he gave no details of when the pull-out would begin.

Russia has said it has over ninety-thousand troops in Chechnya.

Meanwhile the Russian military says it has raised the Russian flag in the centre of the Chechen capital, Grozny, outside the former residence of the Chechen President, Aslan Maskhadov -- indicating it now controls most of the city.

But correspondents say Russia still has to seize the heavily-fortified areas held by Chechen rebels in the mountainous south of the country.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Europe Contents

Country profiles
Links to other Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories