| You are in: UK: Scotland | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Friday, 4 February, 2000, 08:52 GMT
Final stages in trawler recovery.
The final stages in the operation to raise the wreck of the Solway Harvester have finally got under way - following numerous hold-ups due to technical hitches and bad weather. The fishing vessel, which went down more than three weeks ago with the loss of its seven crew, is being towed to inshore waters where it will be lifted to the surface. A huge salvage vessel, the CSO Wellservicer, is carrying out the underwater operation off the coast of the Isle of Man.
For the dead men's relatives, who flew to the island's capital Douglas on Thursday, news that the operation has begun will come as a great relief.
There have been several failed attempts to lift the scallop dredger, which sank on 11 January, and on Thursday morning equipment problems forced the salvage crews to rethink their plans. Meanwhile, it has been revealed that although only three bodies were confirmed to be on board the wreck, funeral preparations have been made for all seven. The Reverend Alexander Currie, who represented the families, said it had been a difficult week for everyone. He said: "I think the whole world has to appreciate that the wait has now been three weeks, that's not normal in the grieving process for us.
"It's a long time without funerals taking place and our intention here is to establish and find our loved ones and bring them home so the grieving process may continue and move on.
"At this stage in time we are still hopeful that we will find seven bodies and are moving on with that in the back of our minds, we are trying not to consider other options. "What we have got to remember is that we are planning for seven funerals which is not easy in a small community. Plans have been made that would accommodate the wishes of all those involved." Mr Currie also paid tribute to the Isle of Man authorities who have made up to £1m available for the operation to retrieve the wreck of the fishing boat from the sea bed. And he said that the cause of the tragedy was a secondary issue which the families would deal with once they have dealt with their grief. Sergeant Mike Kneeshaw, of Dumfries and Galloway Police, who travelled to the Isle of Man with the families, read out a prepared statement on their behalf in which they appealed for privacy and thanked those who had sent messages of support and condolence. The men who died - all from the villages of the Isle of Whithorn, Whithorn and Garlieston - were skipper Andrew Craig Mills, 29, his brother Robin, 33, their cousin David, 17, Martin Milligan, 26, John Murphy, 22, David Lyons, 18, and Wesley Jolly, 17.
|
Links to other Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Scotland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|