[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Languages
Last Updated: Tuesday, 2 January 2007, 17:30 GMT
Spain says Eta peace talks 'over'
A flattened car is removed from the rubble of Barajas airport car park
Authorities say it will take days to remove all the wreckage
The peace process between the Spanish government and Basque separatists Eta is "finished" following a bombing in Madrid, Spain's interior minister says.

Two Ecuadoreans are still missing in the rubble of a multi-storey car park at Barajas airport that was brought down by a bomb on Saturday.

The government has blamed Eta, which called a "permanent" ceasefire nine months ago.

"Eta has evidently broken off the peace process," Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba said.

The process was "broken, liquidated, finished", he said.

The government of Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero had earlier been criticised by opposition parties for suspending peace talks, rather than declaring they were over.

Mr Rubalcaba is expected to meet representatives of the major political parties next week to seek consensus on how to end terrorism, the deputy leader of the governing Socialist Party said.

Girlfriend saw blast

The huge car bomb on Saturday brought down the five-storey car park at Barajas airport's terminal four. Eta made three warning calls in the hour before the blast, officials said.

Rescuers search the rubble of Barajas airport car park
Rescue teams are trying not to destroy evidence

The Ecuadorean men, who were asleep in their car in the car park, are thought to have been trapped when the bomb exploded.

The girlfriend of one of the men, who had gone to pick up a passenger, was returning to the car when she saw the explosion, according to an Ecuadorean immigrants' association.

The bodies of Diego Armando Estacio, 19, and Carlos Alonso Palate, 35, have still not been recovered.

Authorities say it will take several days to clear an estimated 40,000 tons of concrete, under which about 400 cars are thought to be buried.

Madrid's mayor said on Tuesday crews were trying to find the car in which the men were sleeping, and the van in which the bomb was planted, as quickly as possible without destroying evidence and jeopardising the criminal investigation.


VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS
Aftermath of the airport bomb



RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites




FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific