Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Wednesday, 19 January, 2000, 08:48 GMT
Tyson runs into fresh trouble

Mike Tyson's visit has been dogged by controversy


Boxer Mike Tyson has run into fresh controversy after breaking the rules of a Royal park with an early morning jog.

The convicted rapist and his entourage unwittingly broke the 1997 Royal Parks and Open Spaces Regulations by taking a run in Hyde Park more than three hours after it had closed on Tuesday morning.


The park closes at midnight but the pedestrian gate into the park was open and Mike Tyson and his entourage were running up by Park Lane
Royal Parks spokesman
A Royal Parks spokesman said the boxer could have faced a £200 fine had the matter gone to court, but added that the pedestrian entrance had been left open.

Tyson's visit has been dogged by controversy from the moment it emerged that the convicted rapist could be refused entry to Britain under immigration rules banning those with serious convicitons.

The former heavyweight world champion is in the country to fight British champion Julius Francis on 29 January.

But he has been under fire from women's groups who have branded him "dangerous" and has been the focus of 24-hour media scrutiny.

On Wednesday he was branded an unfit role model ahead of a planned visit to Manchester for a walkabout among young people in Moss Side.

Julius Francis: Tyson's opponent
Plans by Tyson to meet youngsters in the area, which has seen a spate of fatal shootings in the past year, were unwelcome, said community leader Father Phil Sumner.

"We are all flawed, but he is seriously flawed," he said.

"If someone really feels they could do some good then you appreciate them making the effort but really we would prefer someone else came."

Earlier in the week the pressure group Justice for Women was refused an application for a judicial review of Home Secretary Jack Straw's decision to allow the former world heavyweight champion to fly into the UK on Sunday.

Mr Straw has defended his decision to allow Tyson into the country

It was "neither a bizarre nor an irrational decision", said Mr Straw, but one made because of "exceptional circumstances".

Tyson was allowed into Britain to prevent small businesses relying on the fight from going bankrupt, he said.

But Mr Straw said he understood the "abhorrence" some people felt.

Shopping spree strands Mel G

A Tyson shopping trip to London's exclusive Sloane Street on Tuesday attracted large numbers of fans and journalists.

Scary Spice Mel G was stranded on the pavement outside the Gucci shop after staff shut the premises for the boxer.

She chatted on a mobile phone and - seemingly oblivious to the mass of waiting fans and press - walked up to one of Gucci's doors and tried to get in.

Discovering it was locked, she said in surprise: "Oh, it's locked. I'll have to come back later." She then sped off in a silver Mercedes.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

See also:
17 Jan 00 |  UK
Tyson stays, court rules
18 Jan 00 |  UK
Tyson shows power of prayer
17 Jan 00 |  Sport
The life of Iron Mike
17 Jan 00 |  UK
Tyson highlights game of chance
14 Jan 00 |  UK Politics
Clutching at straws
15 Jan 00 |  UK
Dobson attacks Tyson decision
14 Jan 00 |  UK
Tyson row prompts rule review
13 Jan 00 |  UK Politics
Straw 'caved in' on Tyson

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories