Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Lara Pawson reports for BBC News
"The rebels are still extremely active"
 real 28k

Tuesday, 18 January, 2000, 13:44 GMT
Unita blamed for central Angola massacre

President dos Santos President dos Santos recently said sanctions against Unita were working


By Lara Pawson in Luanda

More than 100 people have been killed in Angola's central highland province of Bie.

Angola
An unconfirmed number of Unita rebel troops are alleged to be responsible for the deaths of up to 150 civilians in Chicandula, a small village in the east of Bie province.

Reports of the attack come at a time when the Angolan government is optimistic that peace throughout the country could be imminent.

The attack took place last week, but news only started seeping through on Monday when terrified villagers arrived in the provincial capital, Kuito.

'Immoral assassinations'

While some people escaped from the area in trucks, others made the 77km journey on foot.

Among those who managed to escape is a priest from the parish of Chinguar, who has described the deaths as immoral assassinations.

Locals from Camacupa, 50km east of Kuito, also arrived in the provincial capital on Monday.

They told local reporters that it was no longer safe to stay in Camacupa.

Unita 'active'

A Unita source told the BBC last week that the rebels are still extremely active in Bie province where he said government troops are currently carrying out an offensive.

However little information is currently available on the military situation in Angola.

Since government troops took control of the rebel central highland headquarters in October, Unita's military capacity is said to have decreased.

The head of the army, General Joao de Matos, insists that Unita has been defeated as a conventional force.

The Minister of Defence, Kundi Paihama, likewise said last week that the 25-year war is in its dying stages.

For the people of Chicandula, that might be hard to believe.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Africa Contents

Country profiles

See also:
17 Jan 00 |  Africa
Angola president praises UN sanctions
11 Jan 00 |  Africa
Unita weapons investigated
08 Jan 00 |  Africa
UN puts pressure on Angola rebels
07 Jan 00 |  Africa
Tensions on Angola-Zambia border
24 Dec 99 |  Africa
Angola claims rebel base
01 Feb 99 |  Angola
Profile: Jonas Savimbi, Unita's local boy
17 Dec 99 |  Africa
Unita is finished, says Angolan army

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories