Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Football
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Football 
Rugby League 
Rugby Union 
Cricket 
Formula 1 
Tennis 
Golf 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Tuesday, 18 January, 2000, 11:22 GMT
Di Matteo out for six weeks

Chelsea's Roberto Di Matteo will miss six weeks of action with a broken arm.

The midfielder suffered the injury in a collision with Emile Heskey in Saturday's home game with Leicester.

The Italian played on to the end of game without realising the extent of the problem.

Chelsea had actually already used all three of their substitutes, and an x-ray later reveealed a serious break.

Some weeks ago Di Matteo talked of leaving the club although he has recently forced his way back into the starting line-up after an ankle operation at the start of the season.


Draper heads for Spain

Out-of-favour Aston Villa midfielder Mark Draper is joining Spain's Rayo Vallecano on loan until the end of the season.

The Madrid club said on Tuesday that the deal was completed late on Monday, before the Spanish transfer window closed.

"We're hoping Draper will arrive later today," a Rayo spokesman said on Tuesday.

"We've taken him on loan for the remainder of the season, with an option to buy at the end of that period."

The midfielder becomes the second former Leicester City player at Rayo alongside US international goalkeeper Kasey Keller.

Draper has been frozen out of the Villa first team following the emergence of the successful George Boateng/Ian Taylor partnership.

Newly-promoted Rayo were surprise Spanish league leaders earlier in the season.

The fifth-placed team remain well clear of struggling bigger neighbours Atletico and Real.


Three-match ban for Hopkin

Leeds midfielder David Hopkin has been suspended for three games after a sending off in the reserves against Liverpool.

The Scot was making his first appearance for more than a month after a groin operation in December.

He was sent off for violent conduct after a clash with David Thompson.

Hopkin will miss an FA Cup tie at Aston Villa, plus league games with Liverpool and Spurs.


Scots and Dutch to meet

Scotland are to play the Netherlands as the Euro 2000 co-hosts warm up for next summer's tournament.

Craig Brown's sqaud will travel to Arnhem on 26 April for the friendly which will take place in a futuristic £45m stadium with its own climate control.

The last time the two sides met was at Villa Park during Euro 96 when the Dutch were the better side in a 0-0 draw.


Dundee Utd seek Hamilton signing

Aberdeen striker James Hamilton looks set to move to Dundee United.

The 23-year-old is wanted by manager Paul Sturrock to replace Billy Dodds, who joined Rangers for £1.4m last year.

"Discussions are ongoing, and we hope to know by the close of play today," a United spokesman said on Tuesday morning.

Hamilton began his career with Dundee before moving to Hearts in December 1996 and then Aberdeen last March,

Meanwhile Aberdeen are to host top Danish side Brondby in a friendly at Pittodrie next month.

Coach Ebbe Skovdahl left the Copenhagen club for the Dons last summer.


World Cup bidders in Africa

England's 2006 World Cup bid team have are in Accra for this weekend's African Football Confederation.

The England bidding squad arrived before South Africa's rival team, following their trip to Brazil last week for the World Club Championship.

"We are feeling very good after our visit to Brazil," said bid boss Alec McGivan.

"Manchester United's presence was very important for the English bid. It does not secure our success but it was the right thing to do."

South African bid leader Danny Jordaan is due in Accra by Wednesday.

He is upset with English criticism of the crime level in his country, but McGivan rejects such complaints.

"It is not us who has raised the crime issue but the world's media," said England's head bidder.


Robson: Judge me in May

Manager Bryan Robson has asked Middlesbrough fans to wait until the end of the season, when he will review his position at the club.

Boro fans called for Robson to quit during Saturday's 4-1 home defeat against Derby.

But Robson insists he should be judged in May.

"I will assess whether I want stay at the club at the end of the season depending on how well we have done," Robson told The Mirror.

"We've been talking about finishing in the top half of the Premiership and that's still our target."

Robson's cause may be helped by the return of defender Colin Cooper at Liverpool on Saturday.

The former Nottingham Forest captain has missed eight weeks with a knee injury, but proved his fitness against Manchester United reserves on Monday.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Football Contents

Africa
Links to other Football stories are at the foot of the page.