Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK Politics
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Talking Politics 
Mayor News 
Government Guide 
Diary 
People in Parliament 
A-Z of Parliament 
Political Links 
Despatch Box 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Tuesday, 18 January, 2000, 13:23 GMT
Wembley plan 'cock-up'

The new stadium will not be part of an Olympic bid


The handling of proposals to develop Wembley stadium have been branded a "cock-up" by the head of UK Athletics.

David Moorcroft was giving evidence to MPs investigating the failure of the new stadium to be able to host track and field events as originally intended.

The chief executive of UK Athletics said the over-complicated way the government, lottery bodies, sports bodies and stadium owners had all tried to find a compromise on uses for Wembley had been partly to blame.

'No conspiracy'

Mr Moorcroft told the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee: "I don't think it is a conspiracy, but you might not be a million miles away with cock-up."

The designs for the new national stadium had been launched in July last year but by December Culture Secretary Chris Smith had to declare to the Commons the stadium could not be used as part of a UK bid to hold the Olympic Games in 2012.

Explaining why the project had floundered, Mr Moorcroft said it "would have been a compromise between football and athletics and possibly the Olympic games."



"There was a realisation that as it stood it probably wouldn't work - and there was no question of prejudicing football in the final solution."
David Moorcroft


He suggested that a minister given overall responsibility for major sporting events may help create a "more logical process" to ensure a similar situation did not recur.

Speaking for the British Olympic Association, Craig Reedie told MPs of his surprise when he found the stadium architects had not taken into account the needs of an Olympic stadium into their designs, only three days before its launch.


Tony Banks thought a deal had been done
He said: "We specifically asked the architects involved - what instruction do you have to make it suitable for a Olympic capacity at 80,000 people and we found out they have had not had instructions to build that into the design."

The stadium attracted millions of pounds of lottery money, £20m of which the Football Association has said will be returned to athletic bodies.

An Olympic stadium is reckoned to need a capacity of more than 80,000 while the plans for Wembley could have only coped with 67,500 for track and field events.

Former sports minister Tony Banks, who stepped down last July, also told the committee that he had been surprised when the original idea for Wembley had to be ditched.

He said: "I became very concerned when I saw this thing beginning to unravel, because I thought we had a deal."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

See also:
22 Dec 99 |  Sport
Athletics loses Wembley battle

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other UK Politics stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK Politics stories