Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: South Asia
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Owen Bennett Jones reports for BBC News
"The bomb went off without warning"
 real 28k

The BBC's Zaffar Abbas reports from Islamabad:
"Eight are confirmed dead and 15 people are critically wounded"
 real 28k

Air Marshal Azeem Daudpota, Governor of Sindh
"I saw some very bad injuries"
 real 28k

Monday, 17 January, 2000, 18:50 GMT
Blast in Karachi kills eight

The blast left a huge crater on the road


At least eight people have been killed and up to 22 injured in a bomb explosion in the Pakistani city of Karachi.

Eyewitnesses say there was a huge explosion as the bomb went off on Arambagh road in the centre of the city at 1900 local time (1400 GMT).



I was just crossing the road to buy myself a pack of cigarettes when there was a massive blast
Shopkeeper Akbar Ali

Reports say the explosive appeared to have been hidden in a fruit cart.

Windows in nearby buildings were smashed in the blast and the bomb left a huge crater on the road.

"I was just crossing the road to buy myself a pack of cigarettes when there was a massive blast," said Akbar Ali, a shopkeeper.

"I turned around and only saw smoke and heard screams and shouts. It was like an earthquake," he said.

Most of the injured were moved to hospital and police cordoned off the area.

"It was a powerful bomb," the AFP news agency quoted bomb disposal squad chief Moeen Uddin as saying. "It was probably home-made and most probably connected with a timer," he said.

The BBC's Owen Bennett-Jones, who is in Karachi, says such attacks in public places have been taking place all across Pakistan.

No one comes forward to claim responsibility for them and they often remain unresolved.

But the governor of Sindh province, Mohamed Azim Daud Pota, has accused the Indian intelligence agency, Raw (Research and Analysis Wing), of being behind this latest attack.

"It has to be a foreign hand, no Pakistanis can do it," he said while visiting the injured in hospital.

Arrest

On Sunday, police in the Pakistani capital, Islamabad, arrested a member of the Indian High Commission and accused him of carrying explosives.

They said the high commission staff member, P Moses, confessed that he was carrying the material to be delivered to someone who said he would leave it in a marketplace in Rawalpindi.

India has reacted strongly to the allegation and rejected any suggestion that Mr Moses was carrying any explosives.

Karachi, which is in the southern province of Sindh, has been plagued by sectarian violence for several years.

More than 4,000 people have died in violence in the past four years.

Last year, then premier Nawaz Sharif placed Sindh under direct federal rule, in an effort to curb the growing level of violence.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
South Asia Contents

Country profiles

See also:
17 Jan 00 |  South Asia
Analysis: History of violence
18 Dec 99 |  South Asia
Second bomb rocks Pakistan
05 Jan 00 |  South Asia
18 wounded in Pakistan bomb
30 Jan 99 |  South Asia
Why Karachi is so violent
01 Oct 99 |  South Asia
Massacre at Karachi mosque
06 Aug 99 |  South Asia
Two die in Karachi attack

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories