Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Monday, 17 January, 2000, 12:22 GMT
Republican wins claim against police

The claim was settled out of court


Sinn Fein assemblyman Gerry Kelly has been awarded £4,000 in settlement of a claim against the police arising from trouble at a parade nearly four years ago.

The Search for Peace
Mr Kelly, elected to represent the North Belfast area in the Stormont assembly, was granted an out of court settlement, his lawyer told a court in Belfast.

The Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) also agreed to pay Mr Kelly's legal costs.

His claim for compensation alleged that he had been falsely arrested and assaulted by RUC officers during a protest against the annual Tour of the North Orange parade in Belfast on 21 June 1996.

Mr Kelly said he had just been elected a member of the Northern Ireland Forum and went to the Antrim Road where nationalist residents were staging a sit-down protest.

He was arrested and handcuffed but he slipped his cuffs and escaped, leading to him being called "Houdini".

'I was an observer'

Outside the court Mr Kelly said: "I was asked to go over as an observer.


Gerry Kelly (left) pictured with party colleague Martin McGuinness
"I wasn't in the crowd, I was standing 10-15 yards away when the RUC surged forward and basically jumped me.

"They pulled me to the ground, handcuffed me, tore the sleeve off my coat, put me in a jeep and assaulted me.

"When I made a complaint the RUC retaliated by charging me with assault."

The case against Mr Kelly was later withdrawn. He said the settlement vindicated his position.

Nationalist areas

He also spoke of the approach of this year's marching season and another set of Tour of the North demonstrations by the Orange Order, which take members through nationalist areas of north Belfast.

"I would argue that there has to be dialogue between local residents and the Orange Order," said Mr Kelly.

"But our position has always been that we support the local residents."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

See also:
06 Jul 99 |  UK
Resignation call after march ban
08 Oct 99 |  Northern Ireland
Parades chairman to step down
05 Aug 99 |  UK
Businessmen broker Derry march dispute talks
09 Aug 99 |  UK
Anger as parade gets green light
12 Aug 99 |  UK
Fury at parade go-ahead
14 Aug 99 |  Northern Ireland
Arguments over parades continue

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories