Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Monday, 17 January, 2000, 10:56 GMT
Zimbabwe says it's broken Congo siege

Military commanders in Zimbabwe say they have freed three-thousand of their troops in the Democratic Republic of Congo who've been trapped by a rebel siege for the past six weeks.

Zimbabwean commanders said they had inflicted a military defeat on rebels surrounding the Congolese town of Ikela, and had already sent fresh supplies to their troops there in a flight to the local airport.

The Zimbabwean troops are in Congo to support the government of President Kabila.

The BBC correspondent in Zimbabwe says there's no confirmation of the claim and nor has the Zimbabwean army given casualty figures.

The siege of Ikela has been an important stumbling block in recent negotiations aimed at getting the different sides to implement the Lusaka peace accord for the Democratic Republic on Congo.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Africa Contents

Country profiles
Links to other Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories