Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Sunday, 16 January, 2000, 17:19 GMT
Crash victims coming home

One Briton remains unaccounted for


The bodies of five British oil workers killed in an air crash off the coast of Libya are expected to be returned home on Monday.

Ahmed Aoun, chairman of Sirte Oil, the company which leased the plane that crashed into the Mediterranean last Thursday, said the search for the remaining missing passengers had been dogged by storms.

He reported that teams who resumed their work at the crash scene this morning found no sign of the other five people, including one Briton, who remained unaccounted for.

Map
A one-metre-square section of the fuselage was all that had been recovered.

The seven Britons who were among 19 survivors would remain in Libya while replacement travel documents were completed, he added.

Sirte Oil would then fly home any workers who wished to return to their families.

"The weather conditions are still not very favourable as far as the off-shore search is concerned," said Mr Aoun.

"We were unable to go into the sea until 1400 local time and then three units left harbour in a tug and two smaller boats to carry out a surface sweep.

"We have two helicopters involved in the air search. They have gone along the coast and out to sea and nothing has materialised.

"It is now beginning to get dark and we will resume the search in the morning."

Another injured Briton was discharged by doctors on Sunday leaving three in the hospital, he added.

Crash probe

British air accident experts have now arrived in Libya to try to establish why the Belfast-built Shorts SD-360 ditched in the Mediterranean.

The crash killed 22 passengers, including Patrick Cox, of Co Durham; John Morton, 55, of Birkenhead; Thomas McNeilly, 44, of Coatbridge, near Glasgow; Ronald Jarred, 49, of Middlesbrough; and Cheshire-based Roy Parfitt, 54.

The twin-engined plane was carrying 38 passengers, two crew and one flight attendant from Tripoli to an oil refinery at Marsa el Brega when it suffered a catastrophic breakdown.

The Swiss owners of the aircraft, Avisto, said it was lying in water 30 metres deep, and its tail was believed to have become separated from the fuselage, which was lying upside-down.

Mr Aoun said 15 divers on stand-by were unable to leave harbour due to six-metre high waves and winds of 27 knots.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

See also:
15 Jan 00 |  UK
British crash experts fly to Libya
15 Jan 00 |  Northern Ireland
Plane survivor describes ordeal
13 Jan 00 |  UK
Five Britons among air crash dead
13 Jan 00 |  Europe
Survivors found in Swiss plane crash
14 Jan 00 |  Europe
Shorts 360: Commuter workhorse
14 Jan 00 |  UK
Big money lures oil workers

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories