Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Sunday, 16 January, 2000, 16:41 GMT
US soldier charged with Kosovo killing

US soldiers US soldiers question local children in connection with the murder


A US soldier serving with the international peacekeeping force in Kosovo (K-For) has been charged with the sexual assault and murder of an 11-year old ethnic Albanian girl.

Staff Sergeant Frank Ronghi, 35, was arrested last Thursday in the south-eastern town of Vitina after the girl's body was discovered by a US patrol.

She apparently had been killed the same day, said Colonel Ellis Golson, in charge of the mainly US-run south-east sector of K-For.



To discover that one of our own members may have been involved in murder fills me with horror
General Klaus Reinhardt

Her father, Hamdi Shabiu, said he last saw his daughter early on Thursday when she left to go to the market. She did not return.

A US officer showed him photos later that day of her corpse, in which her face appeared battered and bruised, and with a small cut on her forehead.

Sergeant Ronghi, of the 504th parachute infantry regiment based in Fort Bragg, North Carolina, was charged with "murder and indecent acts with a child" according to the chief of staff of US forces in south-east Kosovo.

Outrage

The incident has outraged Albanian families in Vitina.

"We don't want them here to give us security if they are going to do this" a neighbour of the girl's family said.



We don't want them here to give us security if they're going to do this
Victim's neighbour

The commander of the regional forces, Brigadier General Ricardo Sanchez, met local leaders of the town to express the military's "heartfelt and deepest condolences", a US army spokeswoman said.

He stressed however that the tragic killing was "an individual criminal act that will be dealt with appropriately".

K-For's commander German General Klaus Reinhardt said he was "deeply shocked" by the murder.

"I am also deeply saddened that the reputation of the whole of K-For has been affected by the criminal act of one individual," he said.

The army has said it will appoint an officer to conduct an investigation to determine the exact circumstances of the killing and cause of death.

Sergeant Ronghi is being held in detention and will soon be transferred to the US Army's Mannheim military prison in Germany.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Europe Contents

Country profiles

See also:
16 Jan 00 |  UK
Hard times for Kosovo troops
29 Dec 99 |  Europe
Annan condemns Kosovo violence
15 Jan 00 |  Europe
Mourners remember Racak dead
15 Oct 98 |  Asia-Pacific
Okinawa death strains US-Japan relations

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories