Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Americas
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Sunday, 16 January, 2000, 01:47 GMT
Huge rally for Cuban boy

Demonstrators The rally was one of the biggest so far


By Tom Gibb in Havana

An estimated 150,000 demonstrators have taken part in another government-organised protest in Havana to demand the return of the boy at the centre of a custody battle between the United States and Cuba.

Actors and singers at the rally, one of the biggest so far, said the identity of the boy, Elian Gonzalez, was being murdered.

Elian has been staying with his relatives in Miami since he was found clinging to an inner tube off the Florida coast on 25 November.

His mother, stepfather and nine other would-be illegal immigrants all drowned fleeing Cuba.

Elian's Miami relatives want him to stay with them in the US. But his father wants the US authorities to send his boy home, saying the exile community in Miami is using his son in a political tug-of-war.

Nationalist message

The latest rally, made up of students and workers, was held at the same crossroads where Fidel Castro declared his government Socialist 39 years ago. Today the message has become a nationalist one.

A group of actors read from a prepared script interspersed with songs.

"They don't want to even turn him [Elian] into a North American," one of them shouted.

"They want to turn him into someone without a fatherland."

But behind all the rhetoric, it is clear that Fidel Castro is not about to escalate the dispute when the US government still says the boy should be returned.

Cuban officials say instead they will appeal to US public opinion to try to isolate the Cubans in Miami.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Americas Contents

Country profiles

See also:
16 Jan 00 |  Americas
Analysis: Politics cloud Elian case
14 Jan 00 |  Americas
Cuban mothers demand boy's return
06 Jan 00 |  Americas
Analysis: US-Cuba relations in the spotlight
14 Jan 00 |  Americas
Bizarre twist in custody battle
14 Jan 00 |  Americas
In pictures: Cuba's outrage
12 Jan 00 |  Americas
Reno backs Cuban boy's return
13 Dec 99 |  From Our Own Correspondent
Shipwrecked Cuban boy stirs mixed emotions
06 Jan 00 |  Talking Point
Should the Cuban boy go back?

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Americas stories