| You are in: Sport: Cricket | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Saturday, 15 January, 2000, 08:23 GMT
All change for SA
South African batsman Daryll Cullinan has announced his retirement from international one-day cricket, while paceman Allan Donald is to take a six-month winter break. Cullinan, 32, who played in 122 one-day internationals, said in future he would only be available for Test matches. He said he was stepping aside to allow younger players to stake their claim ahead of the 2003 World Cup and because of family commitments.
"We have a great chance to win the World Cup in 2003 and there are a lot of talented players in South Africa who are hungry to play for their country and do well," Cullinan said.
"Now is their chance. "I also have a young family and I need to find ways to be at home with them more often." Donald, South Africa's leading Test wicket-taker with 290 scalps, said he was not turning his back on the national team for good. "I definitely want to play a full part in the triangular (one-day series) with England and Zimbabwe (in February), so I'm not just walking away," he said. "It's a lifestyle decision above anything else, but I've travelled a lot, seen a lot of the world and played a lot of cricket. I'm not saying I'm finished, no way, but the pace needs to change. "I've still got three good years left in me and I'd like to make sure I'm playing the kind of cricket and living the kind of life I enjoy."
Donald's decision means he would be available for selection for the tours of South Africa by New Zealand and Sri Lanka beginning in November this year.
But he said he had yet to decide whether he would tour India next month. "It's a tough decision to make right now, but when I make it hopefully it will be good news," Donald said. "The two test matches there would be the perfect platform to try and get to 300 wickets." Donald said he would play for Warwickshire this year. The English county side were deprived of his services for most of last season due to a succession of injuries. "Last year was such a disappointment for me at Warwickshire that I'm really looking forward to getting back there," he said. "I'm hungry for it. |
Links to other Cricket stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|