Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


William Horsley reports from Moscow
"The heaviest Russian land and air assault for weeks is now underway"
 real 28k

BBC's Lindsay Marnoch reports
"Russia's mainly conscript army is ill equipped for the conflict"
 real 28k

Saturday, 15 January, 2000, 15:35 GMT
Russia relaunches offensive

Reports say Russian soldiers killed 30 civilians on Friday


The heaviest Russian land and air offensive for several weeks is under way in Chechnya.

More than 180 air sorties have been flown by Russian warplanes as Moscow seeks to regain the momentum it lost during successful rebel counter-attacks last week.

Battle for the Caucasus
Reports have also emerged of heavy civilian casualties as Russian forces bomb the Chechen capital Grozny and fighting is reported in and around the city.



Grozny is an ideal place for street fighting; it is possible to defend it for years. Russian soldiers will find their death here
Chechen rebel commander
Local people say that 30 civilians were killed when Russian forces stormed the western suburb of Khankala, without giving the non-combatants time to flee.

Russian news agencies said Grozny and mountain villages in the southern part of the rebel republic had borne the brunt of the latest air and artillery attacks.

Chechen fighters remain defiant. A Chechen news website, Kavkaz-Tsentr, says that Grozny is under the full control of the rebels.

"Grozny is an ideal place for street fighting; it is possible to defend it for years," Khizir Khachulayev, a rebel commander, said. "Russian soldiers will find their death here."

Mismanaging the campaign

The Russian military is increasingly being dogged by the impression that it is mismanaging the campaign.

Reports in Russia on Friday night suggested military commanders were being bribed not to shell villages and had been defrauding their paymasters by listing non-existent soldiers.

For its part, the Russian military said its planes and helicopter gunships had flown more than 130 combat missions over the 24 hours to Friday.

Click here for a map of the region

Spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Konstantin Kukharenko said up to 60 rebels had been killed when Russian forces shelled the village of Khimoi.

Itar-Tass news agency also reported that federal troops had taken full control of Chechnya's Sharoi district, bordering Dagestan.

It said the Russians had killed several dozen gunmen and found a large quantity of military supplies.

Interfax reported that rebel commanders had agreed to surrender the area around Nozhai-Yurt, in the southern mountains.

Helicopter hit

In response, the rebels secured a propaganda coup by hitting a helicopter carrying one of Russia's top military commanders, forcing it to make an emergency landing near Grozny.


Refugees carry wood for heating up their tents near Sleptsovskaya
However the Russians said neither the commander, General Gennady Troshev, nor crew were hurt.

The Defence Ministry said the rudder rotor had been broken by a bullet, RIA news agency reported.

General Troshev said earlier that federal forces were preparing to step up the ground campaign in Grozny with "thoroughly trained" forces.

On the diplomatic front, the United States has rejected Moscow's criticism over a meeting on Thursday in a Washington hotel between American officials and the self-styled foreign minister of Chechnya, Ilyas Akhmadov.

Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov said such actions suggested support for terrorists and separatists.

But spokesmen for the US State Department said Washington supported the territorial integrity of the Russian Federation and saw Mr Akhmadov only as a private citizen with a role to play; they did not recognise him as a foreign minister of anything.

The dispute is just the latest in a continuing clash of views over Russia's action in Chechnya.




Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Europe Contents

Country profiles

See also:
14 Jan 00 |  Europe
Russian losses 'mounting'
13 Jan 00 |  Europe
Russia accused of war crimes
13 Jan 00 |  Europe
Eyewitness: Eerie calm in Argun
12 Jan 00 |  Europe
How Russia pays for the war
13 Jan 00 |  Europe
In pictures: Russia under fire
13 Jan 00 |  Europe
Chechens feel Russia's might
12 Jan 00 |  Europe
Putin's presidential chances
11 Jan 00 |  Europe
Analysis: Russia's tough military lesson
12 Jan 00 |  Europe
Russia rethinks Chechnya tactics
11 Jan 00 |  Europe
Analysis: Media swings against military
10 Jan 00 |  Europe
Can Russia win the Chechen war?

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories