Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


BBC's Alva McNicol reports
"Throughout the investigation there has been a number of leaked reports to the media"
 real 28k

Saturday, 15 January, 2000, 01:37 GMT
Dando detective suspended

Jill Dando: Shot on her doorstep


An officer from the team investigating the murder of BBC TV presenter Jill Dando has been suspended over alleged leaks to the media.

Scotland Yard said the officer was suspended "as part of an internal inquiry into the release of unauthorised information".

Eight months on, the squad has no motive or suspect
A spokeswoman said: "The release of unauthorised information can have a damaging effect on the progress of an investigation and can put the safety of the witnesses, suspects and officers at risk."

She declined to discuss the personal details or rank of the officer.

The Times newspaper reported on Saturday that the man was a detective constable, and that he had been suspended by officers from the complaints investigation bureau.

Leaks have included details of police surveillance of one man, and interest in another man who lived close to Dando, it said.

Inquiries have focused on the bullet used
The 45-strong unit has been working on the murder inquiry since Dando was shot in the doorway of her west London home on 26 April last year.

So far officers have failed to pinpoint a motive or a suspect in the high-profile case, although recent theories suggest Dando was the victim of a stalker.

Detectives recently flew to Los Angeles to enlist the help of Rhonda Saunders, an expert on celebrity stalking whom they hope will help them build up a profile of Dando's killer.

The US inquiries came as Australian police interviewed a man reported to have been an obsessive fan of the presenter.

The 29-year-old man left the UK within days of her murder, it was reported locally.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "We have been in touch with New South Wales Police and inquiries have been made. We have no plans at present for detectives to visit Australia."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

See also:
12 Jan 00 |  UK
Dando police meet 'stalker queen'
08 Jan 00 |  UK
Police: We may not get Dando killer
09 Dec 99 |  UK
Fresh leads on Dando killing

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories