Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Clayre Gribben reports for BBC News
"The peace plan has brought hope"
 real 28k

The BBC's Caroline Hawley
"The authorities say over 1,000 former rebels have surrendered"
 real 28k

Friday, 14 January, 2000, 22:22 GMT
Hundreds of Algerian rebels disband

The army is preparing to eradicate rebel bases


Guerrillas of Algeria's Islamic Salvation Army (AIS) have been emerging from their hideouts following the expiry of a deadline for a government amnesty.

President Abdelaziz Bouteflika had given the Islamists until midnight on Thursday to surrender or face a "merciless" campaign to eradicate them.

The news agency AFP says nine commanders of the AIS, the military wing of the outlawed Islamic Salvation Front (FIS), came down from the highlands over Jijel early on Friday to negotiate the demobilisation of about 1,000 fighters in the area.

By late on Friday, a group of 350 guerrillas were reported to have disbanded, while a small militant group, the League for Appeal and Struggle, said it would end its armed struggle.


President Bouteflika President Bouteflika: Amnesty or merciless war
The FIS urged President Bouteflika to release its leaders and other jailed members as the six-month amnesty period expired.

The rebels are reported to have said it could take up to two weeks for all their fighters to come down from the mountains.

A BBC correspondent in North Africa says it now seems likely that the deadline will be at least informally extended.


Algeria transition
1992: Military halts elections when first round favours Islamists
1992-99 Civil strife kills tens of thousands
April 1999: President Bouteflika elected
July 1999: Islamists renounce armed struggle. Parliament adopts amnesty for militants. President frees 2,300 militants

The deadline, which passed without incident, is part of President Bouteflika's plan to end the Islamic insurgency that has left more than 100,000 dead.

The FIS formally dissolved its military wing earlier this week.

But the rebel group blamed for most civilian killings, the GIA, has so far rejected the government's offer of a partial amnesty in return for giving up its weapons.

Government troops have been deployed in preparation to root out those who do not comply.


Troops are deploying in rebel areas across Algeria

Reports say thousands of soldiers, including paratroopers, have arrived in Jijel, a coastal city east of Algiers, whose surrounding area is considered one of the main areas of rebel activity.

Artillery pieces and scores of helicopter gunships have been sighted in nearby mountainous areas, and warships are stationed off the coast.

Large-scale military activity has also been seen in the Tizi-Ouzou, Boumerdes and Ain Defla regions.

Opposition split

Algeria erupted in violence in 1992 when the government annulled a general election which the FIS was poised to win.

President Bouteflika's peace move offers amnesty, with a probation period, to rebels who have not killed, bombed or raped.

For those who have committed such crimes, the maximum sentence is set at 20 years.


Algerian amnesty
Agreed in July 1999
GIA: Rejected amnesty
Da'wa wal Djihad: Rejected amnesty
AIS: Accepted amnesty
More than 1,000 rebels have surrendered
Algerian politicians say the GIA and another group, the Da'wa wal Djihad, will be targeted when the amnesty period finishes.

The two groups have been accused of killing more than 600 people since the start of the amnesty last July.

They want Algeria to become an Islamic state that would follow Sharia law.

It is not clear if AIS fighters will take part in any anti-rebel operation, but its leader has repeatedly said his 8,000 men are ready to join the army in the fight against the radicals.

Since the AIS declared a truce in October 1997, its forces have largely remained in their barracks.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Middle East Contents

Country profiles

See also:
13 Jan 00 |  Middle East
Analysis: An unstable peace
11 Jan 00 |  Middle East
Algerian rebel group disbands
21 Oct 97 |  Middle East
Algeria: Country profile
07 Dec 99 |  Middle East
Analysis: Algeria's troubled truce
15 Dec 99 |  Middle East
Algeria violence escalates during Ramadan
23 Dec 99 |  Middle East
New prime minister for Algeria
07 Dec 99 |  Middle East
Call to end Algeria truce
11 Jan 00 |  Africa
Terrorist threat disrupts Dakar rally

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories