Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Health
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Medical notes 
Background Briefings 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Friday, 14 January, 2000, 17:14 GMT
Girl died after surgery was postponed

Hannah Smith and her mother Susan Hannah died from complications following surgery


A three-year-old girl whose heart operation was postponed seven times died after the surgery was finally carried out, it has been disclosed.

Hannah Smith, of Richmond, North Yorkshire, died after surgery at Leeds General Infirmary, already in the headlines this week for repeatedly postponing surgery on a 74-year-old patient whose cancer is now inoperable.

Hannah had a major defect which restricted the flow of blood to the heart.

However, attempts to schedule her in for surgery to improve the quality of her life were repeatedly frustrated over an eight month period.



We were so angry about the delays, but it meant we had another Christmas and New Year with her
Robert Smith, father
Twice surgery was postponed because more urgent cases came in and there were no intensive care beds, twice because of administrative errors, and three times because Hannah was ill.

The operation was finally performed last Friday, but complications arose and Hannah died on Tuesday.

The hospital is already at the centre of a row over the lack of intensive care beds due to the flu crisis.

Patient Mavis Skeet, 74, was to have had surgery for cancer of the oesophagus, but it has been cancelled four times - three times because beds were taken by patients with flu, and once because her anaesthetist went down with the illness.

Mrs Skeet discovered on Thursday that her cancer, which was not thought to have spread when the operation was first due to have been done five weeks ago, has now spread to her windpipe and was inoperable.

Hannah had an operation at the age of two weeks, but needed further surgery to prevent health problems as she grew.

On two occasions last year her parents, Robert and Susan, travelled 70 miles to the hospital, only to be told all five children's intensive care beds were taken.

Mr Smith said surgeons found an additional heart defect during the operation - a 'shelf' of tissue which had to be removed.

He added: "Hannah fought like hell, but in the end she'd just had enough.

"They did everything they could at the hospital - they were absolutely fantastic.

"We were so angry about the delays, but it meant we had another Christmas and New Year with her."

Hannah lived in the Richmond constituency of Conservative leader William Hague.

Mr Hague said in a statement: "I'm deeply saddened by this news, this is a real tragedy for the family.

"I'm also disappointed with the confusion over earlier operation dates, and concerned that the Health Secretary did not reply to my November letter on this matter."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

See also:
13 Jan 00 |  Health
Cancer inoperable after flu delay
11 Jan 00 |  Health
Cancer surgery postponed four times
14 Jan 00 |  Health
NHS funding row grows

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Health stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Health stories