Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Friday, 14 January, 2000, 15:39 GMT
Tycoon loses estate path fight

End of a 10-year battle over rights of way


A property tycoon who branded ramblers "scum" has lost a legal battle with walkers over a footpath crossing his estate.

Controversial millionaire Nicholas Van Hoogstraten blocked the path with barbed wire, refrigeration units and a barn in a 10-year campaign to keep ramblers off his estate near Uckfield, East Sussex.


Nicholas Van Hoogstraten called ramblers "scum"
But Lewes Magistrates Court ruled on Friday that the move was illegal and fined the company Rarebargain - registered owner of the land over which the path runs - £1,600, with £3,500 costs.

The path runs close to the 54-year-old tycoon's £30m palace in which, when completed, he plans to house numerous art treasures and where he is building a personal mausoleum.

The Ramblers Association showed in court that that Mr Van Hoogstraten's estate had blocked the 100-year-old footpath, leaving it impassable for more than a decade.

'Scum of the earth'

Over the years the association has staged a number of protests at the footpath blockade.

In an outburst against the walkers in 1998, Mr Hoogstraten branded ramblers "the scum of the earth" and described them as "the great unwashed".

Ramblers' Association spokeswoman Kate Ashbrook said: "Today's ruling is a victory for the British public, which quite naturally expects that all public footpaths are kept open for people to enjoy.

"The footpath network is part of our common heritage and the Ramblers' Association will do everything in its power to defend the rights of the public."

Mr Hoogstraten, who is currently in France, was unavailable for comment.

The case was first due to be heard in September last year but was adjourned when the previous owner of the land, Hamilton Palace Ltd, denied the accusations.

A spokeswomen for the association said: "At the moment the path is still blocked so that is still a problem. East Sussex County Council may now clear the path and send Rarebargain the bill.

"But Mr Hoogstraten cannot now say that the path does not exist, which is what he has said up till now."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

See also:
06 Jan 99 |  UK
Ramblers challenge millionaire landowner
03 Jan 99 |  UK
Ramblers step up pressure on landowner
31 Jan 98 |  UK
Row over 'right to roam' plans

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories