Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Health
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Medical notes 
Background Briefings 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


BBC Wales's Tim Richards
"The anaesthetist sounded off publicly about Mr Smith's ambulance journey."
 real 28k

Friday, 14 January, 2000, 18:28 GMT
Hospital delay 'did not kill pensioner'

Ambulance Mr Smith was ferried between three hospitals


The fact that a pensioner was ferried between three hospitals immediately after major heart surgery did not contribute to his death, an inquiry has found.

Managers from Hereford Hospitals NHS Trust have admitted that human error played a part in the way 74-year-old Harold Smith was treated, but say it was not a contributing factor in his death.

And they have decided that no disciplinary action will be taken.



There remains no evidence that the human error or clinical failure were contributory factors in the patient's death
Hereford Hospitals NHS Trust
Mr Smith died last week 200 miles from his home in Ross-on-Wye following a five-hour search for an intensive care bed.

He had undergone life-saving emergency surgery for an aortic aneurism.

Mr Smith had been taken from Hereford County Hospital to the Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil and then the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend.

The trust now admits a mistake in writing down the name and telephone number of one of the hospitals was to blame for the transfer blunder.

In a statement released today, the trust said: "The internal investigation into the transfer arrangements for a patient from Hereford to the intensive therapy unit in Bridgend is now complete.

"The investigation has confirmed a human error in the transcription of a hospital name and telephone number.

"There remains no evidence that the human error or clinical failure were contributory factors in the patient's death."

Telephone number error

Dr Janet Stevens, director of operations and nursing at the trust, said the mistake arose when the telephone number for the Bridgend hospital appeared alongside the name of a hospital in Merthyr Tydfil.

She said no disciplinary action would be taken against staff for the blunder and the trust would not reveal where the mistake was made.

"At this time there is insufficient evidence to support a disciplinary action in that regard," she said.

"We are not apportioning blame to anyone."

Measures had been put in place to make sure the same mistake did not happen again, she added.

Now when a bed in another hospital is identified, staff working within the trust will fax the hospital to confirm the details before sending patients.

The trust also plans to ensure the same hospital staff who find a bed are responsible for a patient's care throughout their treatment.

Dr Stevens said: "If there had been less people involved in the process the mistake may have been picked up earlier."

The trust has written to Mr Smith's family to explain the results of the investigation and to express condolences.

There will not be an inquest into Mr Smith's death.

Consultant launches attack



This man could have survived and I think he should have done
Dr Bob Dowling, Mr Smith's consultant
Mr Smith's consultant at Hereford County Hospital has launched an attack on NHS bosses for the lack of beds which resulted in his patient's five-hour ordeal.

Dr Bob Dowling said Mr Smith's death highlighted the shortage of intensive care places across the country.

He said: "The human error is relatively irrelevant.

"The fact there were not any beds is the main problem in this whole tragic story. This situation should never have arisen."

"This man could have survived and I think he should have done."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

See also:
08 Jan 00 |  UK
Consultant's concern at bed 'shortage'
08 Jan 00 |  Health
Flu pushes NHS to breaking point

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other Health stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Health stories