Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK Politics
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Talking Politics 
Mayor News 
Government Guide 
Diary 
People in Parliament 
A-Z of Parliament 
Political Links 
Despatch Box 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Friday, 14 January, 2000, 16:24 GMT
Fresh China protests

Protests dogged Jiang Zemin's visit Protests dogged President Jiang Zemin's visit


A visit to the UK by the Chinese Defence Minister by Chi Haotian has sparked fresh protests by human rights campaigners and those calling for a free Tibet.

The demonstrations in London are similar to the ones that surrounded Chinese President Jiang Zemin's state visit to the UK last year.


President Jiang Zemin with the prime minister
A spokeswoman for of the Campaign Against the Arms Trade described UK Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon's meeting with Mr Chi as "an extremely worrying and sinister development for all those concerned with China's human rights record".

The Chinese defence minister's arrival coincides with a call for a judicial review of the police's handling of the demonstrations against the Chinese president that took place last October.

Speaking for the Free Tibet Campaign, Alison Reynolds said the policing of the state visit had been "excessive and politically charged."

She accused the government of putting "trading issues before human rights".

'Public outrage'

Ms Reynolds added: "The police and government may have hoped that this issue would go away, but there was so much public outrage about the handling of the state visit that we had no alternative but to turn to the courts."

The Conservative Party is supporting the calls for a review of last year's police operation that they say was heavy handed as a result of government pressure.

Shadow foreign secretary John Maples said: "The Foreign Office was at the bottom of this and they were determined to make sure there were no demonstrations."

Mr Maples also accused the government of "conspiring to suppress demonstrations."

He added: "It seems to me inconceivable that the Metropolitan Police would have behaved in the way they did without some instruction from higher up."

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Condon has acknowledged mistakes were made, and has said he shares the public unease.

It may several months before a decision is made on whether to hold a review.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

See also:
24 Oct 99 |  UK Politics
Review of Chinese protest policing
25 Oct 99 |  UK
Jiang visit ends amid 'snub' row
21 Oct 99 |  UK
Anger at suppression of Jiang protests
29 Oct 99 |  UK Politics
Condon admits flaws in China policing

Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
Links to other UK Politics stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK Politics stories