Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Friday, 14 January, 2000, 10:40 GMT
Russia denies heavy casualties

The Russian news agency Interfax says a senior Russian general has categorically denied that his forces suffered heavy casualties in Chechnya in recent clashes.

Yesterday the same news agency said military sources had reported thirty-three soldiers had been killed in fighing on Wednesday and Thursday.

But today it quoted the first deputy chief of the general staff General Valery Manilov as saying that the report was based on incorrect data which had misinformed the Russian and international public.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Europe Contents

Country profiles
Links to other Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories