| You are in: World: Middle East | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 13 January, 2000, 22:16 GMT
Police join Weizman probe
Israeli prosecutors have called in the police to help investigate allegations that President Ezer Weizman acted illegally in accepting large sums of money from a French millionaire. Correspondents say Mr Weizman - who admits taking the money but denies any impropriety - will now come under increased pressure to resign. "It has been decided there is a need to continue the investigation, which will be done by a police team and a representative from the prosecutor's office," Attorney General Elyakim Rubinstein told a news conference.
He said police had been called in because his office did not have the resources to examine bank records and other technical aspects of the case. But Mr Rubinstein stressed that "no conclusions should be drawn" from the decision, and that the probe was "not a criminal investigation". On Tuesday, Mr Weizman's lawyer gave the state prosecutor's office documents defending the president's role in the affair. Cash gifts At issue is $450,000 allegedly taken in cash gifts from French industrialist Edouard Sarousi. Mr Weizman, 75, who holds a largely ceremonial role, has acknowledged receiving money from Mr Sarousi while a member of parliament and government minister between 1988 and 1993. But he says he received less than is alleged and that the donations were legal because they were gifts from a personal friend and not connected with his official role. He says he consulted his lawyer at the time and was told there was no need to report or pay taxes on the money. Under Israeli law anyone holding public office is required to officially declare the receipt of large sums of money. Pressure But critics say that even if Mr Weizman's actions were not strictly illegal, it was unethical for him to receive so much while holding public office. One cabinet minister has openly called on him to resign because of the appearance of impropriety, regardless of whether his actions were illegal. "My conscience is clean. I know exactly what I did and what I did not do," Mr Weizman told reporters earlier on Thursday. He has resisted calls to resign, saying he would await the outcome of the Justice Ministry's investigation before discussing his plans.
|
Links to other Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|