Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-----------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-----------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Sport 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Thursday, 13 January, 2000, 19:08 GMT
Keep OPEC output cuts, say Saudis

The dominant oil exporter in OPEC -- Saudi Arabia -- has suggested the production cuts agreed by member states last year to boost prices should be continued beyond their scheduled expiry at the end of March.

The Saudi oil minister, Ali al-Naimi, said that with oil prices up at around twenty-five dollars a barrel, it seemed the quota regime could be left unchanged for this year.

He was speaking after talks with his Venezuelan opposite number, Ali Rodriguez, in Amsterdam. OPEC's market monitoring committee is due to meet tomorrow in Vienna. Correspondents say Mr al-Naimi's stand appears more upbeat even than those of Iran and non-OPEC member Mexico, which have already said they see scope for a three-month extension of the current output cuts of over two-million barrels a day, which have helped boost prices from levels below ten-dollars.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Middle East Contents

Country profiles
Links to other Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories